News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western electric G11 without dial

Started by mbach, September 19, 2008, 11:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbach

I found this phone at a local junk shop for $12.  It has many different wires coming out the back.  I removed my phone jack and there are two wires which connect to it.  I cut out the jack leaving just the two wires.  (they are blue and white).  I touched the various wires and got a dial tone.  I could hear caller, but she could not hear me.  There is no dial attached to this phone, just a blank hole at the top.  The wires i connected to get a tone are blue and blue with a stripe.  These are coming out the back of the phone.  Also, when an extension is picked up it doesn't have a tone when this phone is off the hook.  I understand it may be the handset, but it seems unlikely.  One site said if you can't be heard at all, check that the dial is set properly.  But this phone has no dial.  Is that the problem?  any ideas?
mbach

McHeath

I'm clueless, gonna have to pass this along to our experts.  What say ye?

BDM

Are you sure that isn't a 211 G type mount space saver? Maybe it's not a space saver? Can you post a pic? Anyhow, have a look at this info.
http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/weco.htm
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

I've modified the appropriate schematic to exclude the dial and filter, so your phone should be wired this way:

You'll note that there's something called a "subset" represented in the image above.  These contained parts designed to make the phone work properly, and to ring on an incoming call.  I used one of these phones in my bedroom when I was a teenager, and didn't have a subset hooked up to it.  I didn't even know they existed at that point, but it worked okay like that.  I can't remember where I hooked the two wires from the wall, though. 

Long story short, if you're having problems with other phones on the same line, then the G-mount phone isn't wired correctly. It doesn't need a dial to work properly, and the problem is almost definitely not the handset. 
= DARRIN =