"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1943 Spacesaver

Started by Sargeguy, November 30, 2008, 04:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Here are a couple of nice finds courtesy of Craig's List:

A 1943 Spacesaver with 5H dial I paid $25 for.  The phone is in great shape except for a missing  back panel on the top part.

I am contemplating cannibalizing the spacesaver to save the "dung-heap" 302 from the parts bin. The 302 needs a handset and a dial.  But the spacesaver is a nice phone and I do have a 684A subset that I am not using.  Then again it is missing the back and I have the "quasimodo" 202's on the way that will be in need of a subset.  Decisions, decisions ::)

I also picked up a red 1973 500 which retains it's pre-modular wiring:

It is a nice phone that I have no use for, but I got it for $5.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HobieSport

That's a  good spacesaver.

I think the red 500 from 1973 can be given to someone for Xmas.

Sargeguy

Quote from: HobieSport on November 30, 2008, 05:42:02 PM
I think the red 500 from 1973 can be given to someone for Xmas.

It would, but Commissioner Gordon and I do not exchange gifts.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 30, 2008, 04:04:51 PMI am contemplating cannibalizing the spacesaver to save the "dung-heap" 302 from the parts bin. The 302 needs a handset and a dial.  But the spacesaver is a nice phone and I do have a 684A subset that I am not using.  Then again it is missing the back and I have the "quasimodo" 202's on the way that will be in need of a subset.  Decisions, decisions ::)

An average 211 is worth more than an average 302, if that influences your decision any.  A back can be had from oldphoneworks, and probably other places.

As for needing the subset for other phones, it's not like you can have a house full of phones ring.  The ringing voltage coming down the wire is only enough to ring a handful of phones.  You might have to switch 'em around as the mood strikes, rather than have them all hooked up at once.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Quote from: bingster on November 30, 2008, 08:16:05 PMYou might have to switch 'em around as the mood strikes, rather than have them all hooked up at once.

So what you're saying is I should convert to modular???  ;)

I am already discovering the hazards of too many phones in one house.  I can only get one to ring properly at a time right now.   The 202 on the subset seems to sucking up all the juice.  I am going to renovating my phone wiring soon, hopefully that will help.

I will probably keep the spacesaver the way it is for now.  I was going to take it apart but couldn't bring myself to do it, at least until I hooked it up and fooled around with it first. 

Thanks

Greg 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HobieSport

Commissioner Greg Gordon;

I insist that whenever Batman phones are used that he use one of these:

http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/sc/sc1211.html

I was also interested in the "Spacesaver" WE and AE phones but the Stromberg-Carlson 1211 is rarer .

I'm going to sell Robyn to the Russians in order to pay for the dial.

...Batman.

bingster

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 30, 2008, 08:56:07 PMThe 202 on the subset seems to sucking up all the juice. 
An older subset will do that.  If I recall correctly, a 500 has a ringer equivalency number (REN) of 1, and you can have up to a maximum total of 4 or 5 (I can't remember which) on one line before you run into trouble.  I've read that an older subset can have a REN of 2 or 2.5.  "Sucking up the juice" is exactly what they do.  But remember they were used at a time when a house had one phone in the downstairs hall, and maybe one in the upstairs hall or in a bedroom.  The problem wouldn't have shown itself then.

You could try using a modern 685 subset with your phones that require subsets.  They contain the network and ringer assembly from the 500 series phones.  Using one requires a couple modifications of a phone's internal wiring though, and it's something I've never attempted.  You often see them sold with sticks, 102s, and 202s on eBay.  Using one would definitely lower your REN total if you're using subsets.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Well, I do have a 685A, and another 634A on the way that someone modified for modular.  That should make it easy to unplug when not in use.  I like having the phone niche all set up with the old wiring leading directly into the old subset, using the old screwholes, et.  So it kills me to unplug the 202.  I think the wiring is part of the problem as well.  Even with the old subset sucking up 2.5 or so, the 500 should ring normally.  My wiring is a mess of old, not so old and vintage.  I have a junction box for non-electrical wiring that I bought a while back. I can split off the DSL signal and start a separate line for each jack. I haven't braved the mess that is my phone wiring in order to make use of it yet.  Too busy surfing eBay.

I just broke down the Space saver, cleaned it up and lubricated the dial.  It is in pretty good shape, with very little wear other then a couple paint chips and a bend in the fingerwheel.   It should hook up nice, once I get a subset cord.  The phone is a mixture of parts from 1943 and 1945.  The dial was reconditioned in 1948.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

Quote from: HobieSport on November 30, 2008, 08:59:21 PM
Commissioner Greg Gordon;

I insist that whenever Batman phones are used that he use one of these:

http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/sc/sc1211.html

I was also interested in the "Spacesaver" WE and AE phones but the Stromberg-Carlson 1211 is rarer .

I'm going to sell Robyn to the Russians in order to pay for the dial.

...Batman.

I love that phone!  It really does look like a prop from the old Batman series.  (Now sing "Batman" ten times)  That spacesaver is a sweet little rig, I'd refurb it and fix it up if it was me, but I have no idea where I'd actually put it.  Which of course brings up modular.  I've pondered putting modular back plates on my 554 and 354 and old 2554 so that I could swap them around in the kitchen as the mood struck.  But then I get all annoyed with myself for even thinking such a thing and I give up that project, but then again...

That's a nice red 500 you got for 5 bucks.  Surprised it was so cheap, red seems to command a premium. 

Dennis Markham

Speaking of the back plates.....I have added them to some of my collectible wall phones as I like to be able to use them.  I do exactly what you suggested.  As the mood changes so does the phone.  I may use a 354 for a while, then the black 554  followed by the red one, green one, etc., every once in a while.  I justified the addition of the back plates in a couple of ways.  First it is not a permanent modification.  It does not alter the original phone in any way....no holes to be drilled, etc.  If I later want to make a display of my wall phones I can remove the back plate.  Secondly it allows me to enjoy using the phones that I collect rather than just having them sit in a box somewhere.  I still consider myself a purist when it comes to leaving the phones original....the back plate is sure much easier than screwing the phone to the wall and running  a line cord.