News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

236A KTU Line Concentrator

Started by pdxjim911, February 08, 2016, 09:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxjim911

I'm building a 1A2 key telephone system and ended up with a special Call Director (2634) that uses 1 25-pair cable and can handle 17 lines.  It requires a line concentrator, either a 235A or a 236A.

I was able to locate a pair of these KTU's and they just arrived today from Canada.  Unfortunately, one of the relays is damaged. 

Is it possible to repair that relay (it's H on the schematic) or am I out of luck?

Many thanks!

Jim
Hillsboro, Oregon
Jim Churchill
Hillsboro, Oregon

C*NET 1-821-9771

G-Man

You'll have to provide some idea as to just how damaged it is. Most likely it is a wire-spring relay and though generally not repairable WECo did make special tools for rehabbing them. What is the code number; it may be easier to just replace it?

pdxjim911

I'm guessing code number is AJ 203, one of two on the unit. The rest are AJ 81.

Jim
Jim Churchill
Hillsboro, Oregon

C*NET 1-821-9771

pdxjim911

Here are a couple of pictures of the damage.
Jim Churchill
Hillsboro, Oregon

C*NET 1-821-9771

G-Man

Jim, it is difficult to tell from the photos but it still doesn't look too promising.

I would suggest that you ask your neighbor, Phil McCarter if he would be willing to evaluate it for you and possibly provide assistance.

Also, contact PHONECO and see if they have any more of these in stock. I believe at one time they had a bunch of them along with other KTUs that were being sold at extremely reasonable prices.

Another wire-spring relay expert is Steph Kerman over on the centraloffice and TCI listserves; perhaps he would be willing to assist you.

If none of these suggestions work out, then let us know and we can explore it further.

G-Man

Further...

While I don't have the time right now to study the circuit, perhaps Phil or Steph can advise if you can bypass the damaged relay since you are intending to use an 18-button set with a 30-line KTU.

By the way, performing a search in the TCI Library for "Wire Spring" brings up a number of results regarding their construction and contact replacement.

pdxjim911

Jim Churchill
Hillsboro, Oregon

C*NET 1-821-9771

pdxjim911

Quote from: G-Man on February 09, 2016, 05:04:24 AM
Further...

While I don't have the time right now to study the circuit, perhaps Phil or Steph can advise if you can bypass the damaged relay since you are intending to use an 18-button set with a 30-line KTU.

By the way, performing a search in the TCI Library for "Wire Spring" brings up a number of results regarding their construction and contact replacement.

I just looked at the schematic and you are spot on!  Module H controls the lines 20-23 and I will never use them.  Phil will look it over after I get back from an Amtrak trip to Iowa next week.

Thanks again G-Man!
Jim Churchill
Hillsboro, Oregon

C*NET 1-821-9771