News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lightning strikes again! WE Mahogany 500, nearly date matching 11-17-56.

Started by Russ Kirk, September 08, 2018, 12:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

Lightning strikes again! 

I was in a local antique store yesterday with my wife.  I see a brown 500 sitting on a table.  I'm thinking to myself, "Oh another ITT brown phone, but I have to check it anyway."  I pick up the receiver and look; I was shocked.  It is a Western Electric G3!  I look at the bottom expecting to see the newer gold/silver tone finish; I was shocked again to see the matte black finish and the 11-56 date.   

My wife walks over and sees my excitement. I have her hold the base as I'm taking the receiver apart. Elements 11-56, transmitter cap 10-56, receiver cap 11-56. I have her hold the receiver and open the base, cover 11-17-56, all parts inside 11-56.  She asks me, "How much is it?" I tell her, "$43.99 and it's probably worth 8 to 10 times that amount. This is not brown, it is date matching Mahogany 500 and one of the top 2-3 rarest Western Electric 500 phone colors."  I put the phone back together and holding it close to my chest, quickly walked to the front counter. Another great antique store find and time to do more shopping.

There are couple small marks in the case and it is missing the mounting cord (maybe one was never installed), but other than that it looks like it has spent its entire life sitting on a shelf. I wish it still had the dial card; maybe I will make/buy a "phone number to nowhere" dial card.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Russ Kirk

more photos...
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Pourme

Congratulations!

Isn't that THE best way to find a keeper like that? No competition...no shipping!

Truly a red letter day for you and a ray of hope for the rest of us who spend too much of our time walking through these dusty shops! I'm happy for you!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Kidphone

paul-f

Well done, Russ.

It's days like that that keep us coming back!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

Fantastic find!

There is nothing on Earth that compares to the feeling you get when you find a rare phone locally, especially one hiding in sheep's clothing like this example.

It's definitely a FOtM contender to me.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

tubaman

It's beautiful!
There's something special about that lovely deep rich mahogany colour.
Well done.
;D

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on September 09, 2018, 04:38:50 AM
It's beautiful!
There's something special about that lovely deep rich mahogany colour.
Well done.
;D

This. Very nice find.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

SunriseEarth

Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Partyline4

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI