"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

red 500 7/54 unused in box

Started by Butch Harlow, November 24, 2018, 06:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Quote from: Butch Harlow on November 26, 2018, 01:44:24 PM
From what I understand it's actually a full color set. Two tone sets had black dial, cords, and handset. 54 and at least part of 55 there were only faceplate and cords for beige and brown sets. The other full color sets were produced this way. I was a bit confused by the box, it says 500D-3 which is a black set, however in pencil on the other end is a large letter R. This phone was definitely in this box for a super long time, the leather feet were stuck to the cardboard bottom of the box. I assume they either hadn't produced 500D-53 boxes, or were out of them, or maybe they made this one from a black set in the field. All I know is, it definitely was never installed.

You are correct that it is a full color set, but there were four faceplates that matched. As you said, brown and dark beige, and in addition ivory and green. See the ad below. The green phone is in the center. Sorry for the lousy scan of it. It's old and it was too large for the scanner bed. For the record...

Matching faceplates (bezels) in 1954: ivory, green, dark beige, brown
Black faceplates in 1954: dark gray, red, yellow, dark blue

One way to remember this is it was half matching and half non-matching in 1954.

Matching cords in 1954: ivory, brown, dark gray

It will always be funny to me that they called a red phone with a black dial, dark gray cords and an unpainted metal number card holder a "full color" model. Full mishmash is more like it, but that's the charm of these phones. They were early and not very common, so you have something quite rare. Congratulations on your great find.
Jonathan

Butch Harlow

I have been looking for that ad all weekend, thanks for it and the information. I am super thrilled to have been lucky enough to find it in the wild. My kid makes me so proud, she is genuinely interested in phone stuff. She regularly sends me photos of bell system stuff she finds in Blacksburg while she has been at school. For a 19 year old, she sure makes me proud and hopeful for the future.
Butch Harlow

Key2871

And you should be. Youve done well..
KEN

poplar1

Here are photos of a red 500 dated 12/55. Note that the dial number plate is now red (7C-53 dial), but the cords are still "neutral" (dark gray):
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Another ad for you Butch.

Butch Harlow

Thanks Doug. It's a kinda strange picture.  Where is the handset cord going? Not into the base. What, is it on a coffee break or something?
Butch Harlow

RotarDad

Butch - see link below for Dennis Markham's full set of the various versions of red 500s made during the 50's by WE.  Dennis has a very nice collection of these...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2265.msg71967#msg71967
Paul

Butch Harlow

Quote from: RotarDad on December 14, 2018, 09:42:30 AM
Butch - see link below for Dennis Markham's full set of the various versions of red 500s made during the 50's by WE.  Dennis has a very nice collection of these...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2265.msg71967#msg71967

I sure love good resource material, and looky it's right here on the CRPF. I would expect nothing less. Thanks  Paul, for the link! Thanks Dennis for just about everything!
Butch Harlow