News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric Gray Soft Plastic 500

Started by ....., November 26, 2018, 09:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Received this Northern Electric gray soft plastic 500 in the mail this morning. It gave me a project for today. Replaced the finger wheel, cleaned it up and put it in the display case. Top left. I took out the display glass doors to get a better picture of it in the display.

The base and network are 1956, the bells are 1959. The body, handset and dial are 1960.
Likely refurbished by Bell in 1960.

FABphones

That cleaned up nicely, what method did you use?

Good to see pic 2 as well, very useful to see component parts.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Butch Harlow

Dang Doug, that came out great. It looks like you are needing a bigger display. However, I am one to talk, I have 50 phones just hanging out in my living room.
Butch Harlow

Quote from: FABphones on November 26, 2018, 09:16:20 PM
That cleaned up nicely, what method did you use?

Good to see pic 2 as well, very useful to see component parts.

:)

Thanks Fab,

I soaked  the plastic pieces in dish soap and hot water for 1/2 hour. Then gave it a light wet sanding with 1000 grit, 3000 grit and a light buffing.

Quote from: Butch Harlow on November 26, 2018, 09:17:33 PM
Dang Doug, that came out great. It looks like you are needing a bigger display. However, I am one to talk, I have 50 phones just hanging out in my living room.

Thanks Butch,

That's only one display cabinet in the phone room. I have about 100 phones in there plus other telephone and non-telephone items.

Doug Rose

Doug..I know I have a matching four prong...I will search after work....other Doug
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 27, 2018, 12:16:05 PM
Doug..I know I have a matching four prong...I will search after work....other Doug

That would be great, Thanks Doug.

Key2871

Some difference, that came out really nice.
Good work.
KEN

Doug Rose

Doug....I found it!! Unfortunately with the flash I can get a great picture. There are no guts, but no fades either!! Also has two little chips on the bottom where the four prong comes out but will not really be seen when the prongs are in place...other Doug
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 27, 2018, 05:48:39 PM
Doug....I found it!! Unfortunately with the flash I can get a great picture. There are no guts, but no fades either!! Also has two little chips on the bottom where the four prong comes out but will not really be seen when the prongs are in place...other Doug

What are you looking to get out of it Doug?