"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who Likes Old Clocks!!!

Started by Doug Rose, September 05, 2011, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Bridie on March 28, 2014, 06:04:47 AM
100 Telechrons!?  Have you got photos of your collection?  I'd love to see them.

I had posted some pictures here: forum link.  I recently added a couple of shelves.

Larry

AE40FAN

I prefer the pre-pharaoh for obvious reasons.  It is larger and has the inlaid wood detail.  I love telechrons!  I just wish I could restore them.  Every telechron I own I cannot get the darn knobs off to remove the case.  I know they are reverse threaded.  WinkyDink I may be interested in your restoration services one day!

winkydink

Quote from: AE40FAN on March 28, 2014, 11:53:45 AM
Every telechron I own I cannot get the darn knobs off to remove the case.  I know they are reverse threaded.  WinkyDink I may be interested in your restoration services one day!

This is something that I think I can assist you with, as I have had my share of stubborn knobs.

First apply a drop of liquid wrench or some other rust loosening oil to the top of the knob so it goes on both the knob and the stem from above.  Let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes.

Now using needle nose pliers, grip the stem with one set of pliers and grip the knob with a second set of pliers, and try turning the knob clockwise.  You can use a thin (& small) piece of leather or other material to try to protect the knob and stem from the pliers if you wish.

If that doesn't work (and you can give it several tries with the liquid wrench), you can move to heat.

Using a pencil soldering iron, heat the knob (not the stem) for several seconds.  Carefully but quickly put the iron down (don't burn yourself or your work area) and then use the pliers method described above (griping stem and turning clockwise).

Both methods have worked for me, though at times [with several clocks] is seemed like they (the knobs) were never coming off.

Take a look at the following discussion regarding one of the first clocks I restored.  It talks about removing the knobs, amongst other things.

http://telechron.net/galvanic/index.php?topic=2332.0

LarryInMichigan

Not all of the knobs are reverse-threaded.  On most of the 1930s models, the time setting knob is reverse-threaded, and the alarm setting knob is normally threaded.  During the 1940s, the design of the movement gradually changed, and the time setting knobs were normally threaded.  On at least some of the later models, the alarm setting knob was reverse-threaded.  A good rule of thumb is that the time setting knob unscrews when turned in the direction which moves the hands backwards, and the alarm setting knob unscrews when turned in the direction which moves the alarm hand forward in time.  Unscrewing the knobs can be a real challenge, and the backs many clocks bear the scars of attempts to grab the stems with pliers.

There is a very nice Telechron collectors' form at: http://telechron.net/galvanic.

Larry

Doug Rose

I picked up two Telechron clocks on Fathers Day Weekend when I went to Maine to visit Jan's Dad. 

The beauty is  Bakelite Telechron with a striker. This clock was filthy when I bought it. It works perfectly and chimes on the hour and once on the half. NO chips cracks or missing pieces. As I'm cleaning of the grime I channeled my late father, "Jesus Christ." Someone  scratched in serial numbers on the back. Well at least its the back.

Jesus H Christ!!! The H was when he was really mad. Why? Someone  scratched in serial numbers on the front. Why??? This clock is in just amazing condition. Does anyone have an answer why this was done. You really can't see it unless you re right on the clock.  WHY???....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Here is the seond Telechron, Bakelite as well with the great moving cubes. A couple of stress cracks, hard to spot, but really. Cool! So far it is keeping great time....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

I think that's a Social Security number. People used to use an engraving tool to put their Social Security number on things thinking that would prevent theft or help identify the owner if the item turned up in a pawn shop. Nowadays, the opposite is true: people worry their identity will be stolen if someone knows their Social Security number.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

David....makes sense. I think the back was more than enough!!!

Both clocks keeping time....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Those Telechrons are both beautiful models.  The 6B11 Angelus is dated 1939-42.  I have non-strike version, 4H93.  Whoever engraved the front of yours must have been insane.  The 8B07 Baron is dated 1936-39.  It is a highly prized model and usually goes for $80+.  I have two of the similar but more common 8B11 Granadas.  These clocks should really be properly cleaned and oiled before being used.  Also, the cord and coil should be checked to make sure that they are safe.

Larry

Doug Rose

thanks Larry....I really appreciate the information. ...Doug
Kidphone

AE40FAN

I love telechrons!  The 2nd one with the flip numbers usually sell between 125-175 on Ebay.

Bridie

Wow, I missed some great posts and photos here since originally posting. Thanks for sharing your photos guys.  Larry, I was happy to stumble upon the Telechron forum about a week or so ago.  I've been referring to the website for awhile but somehow missed seeing the forum til recently.  I just bought two more Telechrons: 1 7H89 "The Guest" and a 7H125 "The Dispatcher", both of which need substantial work.  I'm putting them away for a couple of months til I get all my other projects - including restoring two 1930s mogul lamps - finished.  It's a drag that Telechrons are so few and far between here in Canada.
Bridget

JimH

I have a Telechron Baron.  I bought it on ebay several years ago, I think I paid about $80 for it.  It works perfectly.  I can't believe how accurate it is.  My only concern is that it is safe.  I'm afraid to leave it plugged in continuously. There is a "serviced" date of 1959 on the inside.  I have read threads of collector clubs that say you should convert to low voltage.  Others say a GFCI outlet will help. I really don't want to modify it, and I'd really love to have it plugged in all of the time.  Any thoughts or experience on this?

Jim
Jim H.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: JimH on December 04, 2014, 01:10:45 AM
I have a Telechron Baron.  I bought it on ebay several years ago, I think I paid about $80 for it.  It works perfectly.  I can't believe how accurate it is.  My only concern is that it is safe.  I'm afraid to leave it plugged in continuously. There is a "serviced" date of 1959 on the inside.  I have read threads of collector clubs that say you should convert to low voltage.  Others say a GFCI outlet will help. I really don't want to modify it, and I'd really love to have it plugged in all of the time.  Any thoughts or experience on this?

Jim

I don't think that most collectors worry about the safety of old electric clocks as long as there is no apparent wear or damage.  One should certainly visually inspect the plug, cord, and connections to the coil and also check to make sure that the coil is not excessively hot after being powered for an hour or so.  I do always warn people though that it is not a good idea to run a clock this old for a long period of time unless the movement has been properly cleaned and oiled.  The old oil is usually dirty and sticky, and the parts do not move freely, so the motor has to work extra hard.  This results in excessive wear and eventually failure of the mechanical parts.

I have a number of 1930s-40s electric clocks running around my house, including Telechron, Hammond, and other.

BTW, it looks like you got a reasonable deal on that clock.  That model rarely sells for cheap.  A similar model, The Grenada, sells for less.  I had two but gave one to a friend who keeps it running on his desk.

Larry

JimH

Thanks, Larry.  I had it plugged in for a few months straight a couple of years ago, and it was fine.  It does not get hot.  I checked the cord and plug and connections and I don't see any issues. 
Jim H.