News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Going Off-Line.

Started by Babybearjs, April 24, 2019, 03:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well.... the work has started! we officially went Off-Line today with our KTS. started out wanting to pull the alarm cabinet so I could install a lid support and it escalated from there... so now... I just have POTS service and the DSL... no blinking lights.... no fancy features.... no buzzers..... and no intercom.... this is step one of many.... here are some pictures! and I also learned the my power plant was the culprit behind why my X10 home automation system was not working all the way.... the minute I disconnected the power plant all the lights on the timer schedule came on like they were suppose to! time to invest in a noise filter! (oh yeh, my C*Net lines of off-line right now, so if you wanted to call...  you're out of luck.)
John

Dan/Panther

I see these or similar set ups periodically. Most places I've worked have this or a similar system.
I think many members would love to hear a description of exactly what one can do, and expect from this type system.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Babybearjs

its going to be interesting. on my 560 and 2560 series phones, I'm going back to using the RR and TR terminals for the bells. I'm planning on doing a cross-connect at the 66 blocks and possibly a switch bank to control each ringer. I'm not sure how that's going to work. I think the direct cross connect will be my best bet. I'm adding a 3rd POTS line... I have a 3 pair drop on my site and have had all 3 lines running at once. 1. house phone, 2. Shop Phone, and 3. roommates phone or fax. I'm having to re-plan the line from the NID to the board... 2 4pair CAT5e cables should do the trick! (oh fun!) I'm putting away the equipment for now until I get the closet completely remodeled. if things work out this summer, I may have some cool pictures to share later this year! wish me luck!!! 
John

Dan/Panther

Keep us updated for sure.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Babybearjs

The tear-down continues! took all but one 66 block down and consolidated the phone lines... only 5 of my 10 extensions connected... having issues with one of the extensions... keep loosing line 1 dial tone... so frustrating! 
John

Key2871

Sounds like a bad connection.. did you check your block?
Either the blu/wht  or wht / blu.
Why did you use that type clip? It's easier to trouble shoot with the other type. You can open one side or the other.
If you use wire ties you keep wire movements down.
KEN

Babybearjs

yup, it was a bad tine on the block. had to move the pair in one space... now all is working like it should.... for the time being!
John

Babybearjs

>:( OMG! how removing a back board can escalate in to a full blown project! the last screw was stripped and I had to fight to remove the board... thus resulting in damaged sheetrock... thus resulting in me moving forward to removing the sheetrock! OMG! am I tired! and what a mess it was!
John

Key2871

I think I tried to tell you that... But now you know for sure, my first house I only had a small closet in witch to put my system. I never opened the wall because after working as an electrician, I knew what I could get into. Well at least now you can really route the wires so when your done it will be easier to fix in the event of a problem.
If it were me, I'd get some plastic pipe for your runs down through the floor, inside the wall, use a sweep for easier pulls, maybe 1.5", or 2", that way you have a good place to plug insulation in when you're done, but still have access to extra run's in the future. Being inside the wall leaves you with a cleaner look, no wires just coming out of the floor, no unsightly mess of wires.
If your planning on using 25 pair inside the wall will just look so much better. Run it hight enough for exiting the wall in a appropriate place to just punch down on the blocks.

You never really understand until you actually get to the point your at now, what your going to get into.
Well time for an HD run. Make sure you get the correct thickness board... Or it will never look right.

Good luck John, as I always say... Keep it simple, or you will start a larger project than you thought you would.
KEN

Babybearjs

yeh, I know what you mean... I found a circuit in the wall for the heat tape outlet under the house, was thing of tying into it, but changed my mind. have had plans to extend an outdoor outlet circuit on the south side of the trailer... thats going to be my plan... run Sch. 40 gray PVC along the base outside, add an outlet or 2 and terminate it in the closet. a dedicated 20 amp circuit. the wall is going to have the OSB plywood on it where the sheetrock was removed... still have to wait though.... don't get paid til Friday!
John

Babybearjs

:) this project is going faster than expected! I got the wood today and started the painting... first panel done! let it dry overnight and I should have it in by Teusday afternoon! won some telephones on ebay for parts... 2 2565's and another 564. man am I going to be busy this week! 05/07/19 1:40AM: here are the first of the remodel pictures. I was going to have my cable line in with the rest of the keystone jacks and almost broke a keystone bracket... wound up running the RG-6 cable out the bottom of the box and I'll remount that in its own box... Now I understand the deeper box was passed up.... $1.00 more, but the cable line would have fit! live and learn!
John

Key2871

Is there a reason you ended the wall just beyond the stud?
Usually the board is run to the center of the stud, then another, so you end up with the end of the boards on studs .
KEN

Babybearjs

its the way the boards were cut. I had the 4 X 8 sheets cut down to 4 x 4 pieces so I could handle them easier. plus. its the way the wall was built, there is 6 Inches hidden in the side wall... it throws measurement off, but still works... here are some more pictures of the painting project!
John

Babybearjs

:D TODAYS PROGRESS: well, its been quite a day. I got 2 phones today, both were about $10.00 plus postage. to my surprise, the 564 I got is a Lt . Gray. badly discolored. will need to look to see what method I need to use to get the color back... the other phone is a 2564 and its missing the face plate... saving that one for parts... enclosed are some more pictures of my remodel. turning out alot different then expected...
John

RB

That is progress! lookin good