News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New to the Forum - zaphod01

Started by zaphod01, January 20, 2013, 03:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod01

I'm new to the forum (and to collecting). I joined because I was able to turn one of my 'non-ringers' into a ringing phone based on wiring advice in one of your threads. You guys rock!

I've purchased 8 Model 500's thus far. A couple 'restored' (for reference) and several that are fix'er uppers.

I'm interested in anything anyone knows about the red dial-less phones I've seen for sale. The look like 500's but there is no dial. The wife wants one. Happy wife; happy life...
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

TelePlay

Welcome to the forum and while you can, make some room in your storage area for that dreaded disease known as phoneitis is very contagious - you many end up with many more phones very quickly -we all have it.

You can post pictures of you collection if you wish.

As for dial-less 500s, they are answer only phones, regardless of age. If they have a ringer in them, they will ring. If not, you would need an external ringer or rely on other phones within hearing range to know when to answer that phone.

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm

and

http://www.paul-f.com/500blanks.html

Jim Stettler

The red dial-less 500's  basically just an answer only extension or a "ring down" set
A "ring-down" is a special circuit that will ring 1 phone when the other phone is taken off hook. (hot-line)

If you check with the "switchers" on TCI you can probably buy a ring down card and power supply.

There are different styles of the dial blanks.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

The 500s without dial were also used on some PBXs such as the cord switchboards, even in areas where dials were the norm. This meant the attendant/receptionist answered all incoming calls and transferred them to the various extensions, and also that she would place all calls (inside or outside) for the users of the non-dial phones.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

Quote from: zaphod01 on January 20, 2013, 03:32:09 PM

I'm interested in anything anyone knows about the red dial-less phones I've seen for sale. The look like 500's but there is no dial. The wife wants one. Happy wife; happy life...

Where did you see them?  Can you post a link?  They could be anything from a vintage 500 to a modern piece of overpriced Chinese garbage.  Would the wife be content with a modern 500-style, or does she want a genuine vintage collector's item?  I don't often see the vintage ones w/o a dial, and red is a popular color.  You can always remove the dial and bezel and put in a blank.

Here's one example of an out-right rip-off: http://www.adamtelco.com/viking-k-1900d-2-red-no-dial-hot-line-desk-phone.html
( dead link 04-06-21 )
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

zaphod01

There's a red dial-less 500 on ebay at the moment but it's rough.

www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western-Electric-500-AD-Red-Dial-less-Phone-/370656580294 ( dead link 04-06-21 )

I'm keeping my eye out for something in a little better shape. I think there was one on oldphoneworks.com a couple of weeks back but it's not there now. It was out of my price range.

Greg G.

Quote from: zaphod01 on January 21, 2013, 01:45:07 PM

www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western-Electric-500-AD-Red-Dial-less-Phone-/370656580294

I'm keeping my eye out for something in a little better shape. I think there was one on oldphoneworks.com a couple of weeks back but it's not there now. It was out of my price range.

Way too much for a 70s-era phone with no dial.  Plus that notch in the back looks rather crudely done.  Keep looking, check Craigslist too.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Mr. Bones

zaphod01,

Welcome to the forum!

I would just find an affordable red 500, and procure a red blank, then, poof! Bob's your uncle! ;)

I just found a couple , scrying on ePay... roughly $20 to $50.

Good luck, happy hunting, and best regards!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

paul-f

Quote from: zaphod01 on January 21, 2013, 01:45:07 PM

www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western-Electric-500-AD-Red-Dial-less-Phone-/370656580294

Welcome!

One of the things to learn about 500s is that there are hundreds of different models and variations.  It was one of the most successful industrial products ever made, with hundreds of millions of units made in it's 50 year plus history.

The red ebay phone is actually quite interesting to a collector of 500-series variations.

It's for special 4-wire circuits, not standard phone lines.  A brief description with list of BSPs is found down the chart here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#500Y

The 500AD is not found often, especially with the proper housing labeled for the ringer control -- that should come out the notch on the bottom plate and be visible between the words LOUD and OFF.  Apparently the original ringer was removed.  The housing was hardwired and (unfortunately) notched in back for a modular jack.

A standard, and much more common, 500C will better suit your needs, and should be available much cheaper.

When you look at sites like oldphoneworks.com you are getting not only the phone but the company's refurb skills and a warranty.  It's natural that their prices will be higher than less reputable sellers, yard sales or thrift stores.

As has been pointed out, you have to check any phone to make sure it has the proper internal components.   Many hands have tinkered with most of these phones since they came off the production line - perhaps 50 years ago.  This forum is a good place to learn what to look for and what to avoid.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Here's an ITT modular, but the current price is about right:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/111002228983
( dead link 04-06-21 )

Here's a more collectible WE for a bit more:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/181065221955
( dead link 04-06-21 )
- Mike Row
e

zaphod01

Found an old thread about 95B Apparatus Blanks. Sounds like that's what I need to find!

Just bought my first Princess phone. The bedroom which used to serve as my computer room has been converted to a telephone hospital.

I got it bad...

G-Man

Quote from: Brinybay on January 21, 2013, 11:59:17 AM

Where did you see them?  Can you post a link?  They could be anything from a vintage 500 to a modern piece of overpriced Chinese garbage.  Would the wife be content with a modern 500-style, or does she want a genuine vintage collector's item?  I don't often see the vintage ones w/o a dial, and red is a popular color.  You can always remove the dial and bezel and put in a blank.

Here's one example of an out-right rip-off: http://www.adamtelco.com/viking-k-1900d-2-red-no-dial-hot-line-desk-phone.html

In this instance you are certainly correct that it is not normally something a collector would be interested in but I'm not sure as to why you consider that telephone in your link to be a "total rip-off."

It is a currently manufactured telephone that is used by car rental companies, hotels, department stores, etc. for hot-line dialing and contains a board inside that is used to automatically dial a telephone number when the handset is lifted from the cradle.

Photos of the inside of 554 wallset version showing the circuit board and programming keyboard were recently posted on the TCI list.

The circuitry also guards against fraudulent calling via a dtmf pocket dialer, etc.

All and all it has been a very successful product that is very much in demand.

Mr. Bones

In this instance you are certainly correct that it is not normally something a collector would be interested in but I'm not sure as to why you consider that telephone in your link to be a "total rip-off."

It is a currently manufactured telephone that is used by car rental companies, hotels, department stores, etc. for hot-line dialing and contains a board inside that is used to automatically dial a telephone number when the handset is lifted from the cradle.

Photos of the inside of 554 wallset version showing the circuit board and programming keyboard were recently posted on the TCI list.

The circuitry also guards against fraudulent calling via a dtmf pocket dialer, etc.

All and all it has been a very successful product that is very much in demand.

Greetings, zaphod1!

It is most certainly up to you, and of course, your wife, as to what telephone you need / want / buy.

My personal intent, by posting a reply, was to prevent you from spending hundreds of hard-earned dollars un-neccessarily. I think that is also true of all who responded to this post, though I do not speak for anybody but myself..

Your stated goals, as I understood them, were:

1> red dial-less phone.
2> the wife wants one.
3> Happy wife; happy life...

If, indeed, you do have a need to automatically dial a telephone number when the handset is lifted from the cradle, or guard against fraudulent calling via a dtmf pocket dialer, etc., then this product might be ideal for your purposes.

Also, equally true, if you are running a hotel, car rental, department store, or any other retail business, etc.

If these particular features are not mandated for your requirements, such as a home extension phone, then we can find ways to accomplish it much more economically, often with an older, cooler telephone than the linked one in question. Totally your call.

Please, give us more detailed criteria, and assistance will be tailored accordingly.

I was just trying to help save you some 'Dead Presidents', perchance to spend on a romantic dinner with the wife, etc. (See 3>, above.) ;)

My very best regards to you and yours!

Terrence

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

G-Man

I believe Mr. Bones misunderstood, no one was advocating for zaphod1 to purchase it since it is intended for commercial use.

Instead the post was in response to brinybay labeling the Viking hot-line telephone shown in his link as a rip-off.
                 http://www.vikingelectronics.com/index.php    

The least expensive way for zaphod1 to achieve his goal would be to purchase a telephone at a garage sale or thrift store and then buy new red plastics with a dial blank from one of the refurbishers.

Here is an example to transform a 2500 set into a non-dial instrument:

Red 2500 Housing shell- $7.50
Red G-Style handset handle and caps- $4.25
Red Blank  faceplate for 2500 set- $3.00
Garage sale/thrift store 2500 set- $2.50 to $5.00 range

Total spent- $17.25 to $19.75

Of course he may be able to score for a lot less by being patient and keeping an eye out on eBay. A recent poster on the TCI list said he won an eBay auction for two dial-less 544 wall sets for $14.93.

zaphod01

Thanks for the tip. For the wife, anything that looks like an answer-only phone in red will be fine. She's not a purist. I replaced the bulb in her Princess phone with an LED and she will never know the difference. She loves it!

Anyone have a source for the item shown below?

Red 2500 Housing shell
Red G-Style handset handle and caps
Red Blank faceplate for 2500

Bought a 1951 model 500 this morning. It, along with a 1955 I bought, has a straight handset cord. Is there a date range for which a non-curly cord is correct?

Thanks, again!