"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wanted -- D1 Base

Started by marty, January 29, 2011, 05:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty

Hi All;
I need a base for my D1 phone, Where do I go to get one at a descent Price ????
THANK YOU Marty

Phoniac

Marty, I would advertise in the classifieds here and hopefully someone has a spare to sell you. Unsure what it may cost but I'm sure it'll be less then having to buy a whole phone off eBay for one.

mariepr

If you're not adverse to using a repro, check out Phonco's B495 for $15. 

In the past they were sturdy steel, although the inside snap rings are thicker and don't have the same spring to them as do the WE originals.  The felt cover they provide is thin craft store stuff however.  I solved that problem by buying a skin of 3 oz buckskin and cutting my own covers.  Once covered with felt or leather, who can see it? But 100% authenticity may be a high priority for you. 

I can't figure out how a D1 could "lose" it's base - unless maybe it was removed if it became badly corroded. 

Phoniac

Quote from: mariepr on January 29, 2011, 07:08:41 PM

I can't figure out how a D1 could "lose" it's base - unless maybe it was removed if it became badly corroded.  

I've seen and known people take things apart just to see what's inside and loose the screws and half the parts in a day. So this is no surprise to me.
There's people out there that have no business touching anything. Most of it is that they are not organized,  don't care and, see no value in anything.

marty

HI All;
THANK YOU for the Suggestions, IF nothing else shows up, than a Repo will do...
THANK YOU Marty

Dennis Markham

Marty, I bought one once (a bottom cover for a D1) from Adele Vaverchak.  She sells phone parts on eBay or you can e-mail her with your wish list.  I paid $20 plus shipping I believe.

Here e-mail address is:  acurbrider@yahoo.com

Her eBay stuff currently for sale can be seen here:

http://goo.gl/KwdBa

She's "good people".

~Dennis

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Phoniac on January 29, 2011, 07:46:51 PM
Quote from: mariepr on January 29, 2011, 07:08:41 PM

I've seen and known people take things apart just to see what's inside and loose the screws and half the parts in a day. So this is no surprise to me.
There's people out there that have no business touching anything. Most of it is that they are not organized,  don't care and, see no value in anything.

Ah, It reminds me of my youth. I took apart many things, Never a telephone, but I would if I could.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Hell Yeah! Taking things apart to see how they work is how I got here! It is also how I ended up as an auto mechanic. I started taking things apart to see how thet worked when I was a young child. I starting building and repairing bicycles for neighborhood kids when I was around 10 years old. The very first old phone I got was an Ericsson Magneto. I paid too much at an auction for it but it worked out ok. I took it apart to see what was in it and how it was made, also to clean and polish it. I joined TCI & ATCA to try and get it working, I never did get it working but I made it look real pretty and got some decent money for it. While receiving emails from the list I got interested in other phones and when Steve Hilz offered a 500 "parts" phone for $5.00 I jumped on it. That was all it took :D 
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phoniac

I agree with you and hope I didn't sound too curt about people taking things apart. Because that is exactly what I use to do when I was only 3 or 4 years old. My mother told me she had to hide all the alarm clocks when I was that age because I'd take them apart and didn't know how I did it, just that I did.
From there was cars of course, at 17 I was rebuilding carburetors for friends, you all remember those, carburetors that is. Then radios, tv's and on to appliances, phones and, fans. Basically anything that plugs into the wall.

But, What I was trying to say, is that some people are careless and don't have the aptitude needed to dive in to somethings and shouldn't because if they don't destroy it, they make it hard on the next poor soul who does know how to, try to fix it. I'm sure all of us have came upon a phone or other item that some ones busy little fingers have been in and made a mess of it, I know I have. Right now I have an early 220V Emerson fan that has and It's going to cost in time and money to straighten the poor thing out.

Sargeguy

I have a stack of bases and a pile of baseless 202s.  Let me do some addition and get back to you.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

marty

Hi All;
THANK YOU Sargeguy....  I know ALL about taking things apart, I did alot of that when I was a Kid... And come to think of it, I am still taking things apart.... But, now I am better at putting them back together....
THANK YOU Marty

marty

Hi All;
Here are some more pictures of my Baseless D1, I have somewhat cleaned it up... And rewired it, I needed the practice.  The Handset needs more work as it still has dusk along its ridges.... Along with the Subset..
THANK YOU Marty

Jim Stettler

Interesting, Is the edge of the dial white?

I am surprised that your dial has a clear fingerwheel, and the subset has a beige cover. The subset may of been for a beige 3 slot phone or possibly a beige continental (colored D1)

I would expect a black fingerwheel on a black base dial , and a black cover on the subset.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phonesrfun

Interesting that it has a #6 dial, and that it is teamed up with the 685 subset.  Did it come that way?  Looks like you need to get a fabric cord to replace the inside wire connection to the subset. 

-Bill G

marty

Hi All;
Yes, I got what you see, excluding the wires, and of course with lots more dirt,and dust, they all had been sitting in an open but covered garage, with lots more junk, that either I got or threw away... along with the phone tools, (As seen on another post), and an ITT touch phone. also full of dust... What you see is what I have ... The only other phone I have somewhere is a red princess phone, I have had it for years... below is the Before Cleanup photo of the phone
THANK YOU Marty