"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 295 A subset

Started by Sargeguy, November 29, 2010, 11:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 05, 2010, 09:42:43 PM
Now I just have to figure out how to stain it.  Tea?  Watercolors?  Hmmm.

Tea is a good way.
-Bill G

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is an improved version:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 05, 2010, 09:42:43 PM
You mean like this? ;D

Yep, something like that. LOL

To age it, you could try leaving the piece of paper in a bright window for a week or so until it yellows from the sun.  Or if you have access to colored office paper, a piece of ivory or buff paper would look really nice.
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

Wow.  How did you clean up that diagram?  I am assuming it is from the photo I sent.

-Bill G

Sargeguy

Yes, it is from your photo.  I used Adobe Photoshop to clean it up.  The perspective was a little off so I had to fiddle with some of the lines to straighten them out a bit.  I prnted it on Ivory stock but it looks too clean.  I need it to match the patent label, I will have to figure out how to age it and grunge it up a bit.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

I can photograph the whole patent label.
-Bill G

Sargeguy

Thanks.  My patent label is intact so I don't want to mess with it.  The challenge is going to be getting the new labels color to match it.  I may experiment with PS to see if I can darken it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

More info on the labels:

Attached is a photo of the whole patent label.

I measured both labels.  The diagram label has an overall dimension of 4-1/4" wide and 3" high edge-to-edge on the paper itself.  The  outlined border area measures 3-7/8" wide and 2-5/8" high.

The patent label paper size is 1-5/8" wide and 1-13/16" high and the border area is 1-7/16" wide and 1-11/16" high.

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

oops, I should have reviewed my post before posting.  Disregard the patent lablel, since I see now that yours is intact.

I know it tells me that there was another post since I started my post, but I ignored it.  I guess that's why they have that feature in the forum!  :)

-Bill G

Sargeguy

The staining process warped the paper and blurred the ink, so I dirtied it up in PS instead
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

That's the one.  It'll look like it's been on there forever.
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Did you get all the parts for your refurb?....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Yes, Bill found the parts I need and is sending them to me.  I was going to use parts from a 302 but now I can restore it to it's original state.  I have a brassed out 151AL that this would go well with.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

Sargeguy:

One thing to keep in mind about the 151AL.  It is an antisidetone phone, and the 295A was made before antisidetone induction coils were developed.  It uses a #20 induction coil that has the two windings instead of three windings on the antisidetone coil. 

The antisidetone phone will function as a sidetone phone when connected to the 295A, which is no big deal, it will work just fine.  You will hear your own voice in your own receiver a little louder than with an antisidetone subset. 

The 151AL will likely have 4 conductors in the deskset cord.  Red, Yellow, Green, and Black.  On Sidetone subsets like the 295A, you will only connect the Red, Yellow and Green.  There won't be a place for you to connect the Black wire.  Just put a piece of electrical tape over the spade tip of the black wire and let it hang loose.  Taping it makes sure it doesn't cause static by coming in contact with other things inside the subset.

-Bill G