News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Confessions of a phone addict: Kenton k's collection gallery

Started by Kenton K, September 29, 2014, 10:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

I asked the seller what the true color was and he said red .  :'( :'( :'( But he didn't ship yet so we arranged a full refund.  ;D ;D

Glad this happened before he shipped!

-Ken

Kenton K

I went to a flea market today and got some phones!!!

Firstly, a North 541 in black from 1957. Small crack which Should be repairable. $20

Secondly, a SC multiline? Green, and with the original box and paperwork! $20

Thirdly, a 1946 Metal 302, I bought it because it seems like a later metal version. Also, the paint is great! $25

Lastly, a C1 hang-up phone with a 4H dial. The case is rusty and the celluloid dial plate is ruined, but the E1 handset is fully seamless! I may swap the dial for a #2 and put the 4H in a 1937 302. $55

Lots a moneys spent! Better sell some phones!

-best-Kenton

WesternElectricBen

WEBellSystemChristian

Very nice Ken! I really like the C mount, although it looks like it needs a bit of work!

I wish I could go to flea markets near me, but it's -4 degrees outside!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kenton K

Yes, the C mount is a little rusty, although I may just leave it as it. I really don't like repainting! I flipped it around so the more rusty side is on the back.

Also, the North is rather interesting as it has 2 networks! One seems to be a version of the 425 while the other seems to be a basic anti-sidetone network. I guess it would be cheaper to have an modern exterior and use old school electronics. There must be a location to screw in an extra condenser. Although when they include both networks, it certainly isn't saving any money!

-Ken

Kenton K

Just purchased a 1937 vented 302 from the evil bay. No, not Mark's, (not that rich), but a cheaper one. It is all matching dates! I'll post pics later tonight.

Ken

Kenton K

Hello,

Here are some pictures of the latest 1937 phone I purchased. It cost me $150.

I believe the phone to be all original, except for the missing line cord. All dates are 1937, including the handset cord. The dial is a 4H converted type 2 dial, with a 132A plate which I presume to be original. There is a seamless F1 handset on board, with matching elements and caps; although the transmitter cap doesn't have a date, just two green dots which I am also assuming to be original. The paint condition is amazing! Very small chips on the vent and ears.

The only thing I added was a repo number card.

-Kenton

Kenton K

Here are some detailed handset pics for the previous phone:

Kenton K

And here is my collection of 1937 302s.

The leftmost one is a 9-37. It is about 80% original. It has an early 5H (1938) dial with a disintegrating 1937 celluloid dial plate. The handset is also seamless, but the elements and caps don't match.

The middle is a 11-37. It is 50% original. There are no internals(network, ringer...). The E1 handset is not original. But dial blank is original.

The right one is a 9-37 that I described bellow.

Wow, too many! I guess its time to sell one. lol

-Ken

WEBellSystemChristian

Jeez, Kent, you have at least one of pretty much everything I don't have! A Rose Beige 500, a 1950 500, Pekin red 302s, THREE '37 302s...
What next, an Oxford Gray Mushroom? :o
Great collection so far!! Keep up the great work!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kenton K

Thanks! I wish I had an gray mushroom! It has taken me a few years to find a complete 37 302. Although I think you have more phones that I don't have. I'm especially envious of your soft plastic 500s.  ::)

I'll try to keep the phones coming along!

Kenton

Kenton K

Two more nice candlestick to add to my stick collection.

One is a 151C converted from a 50al. It seems the 151C has extra hook switch contacts. Quite a little pile! Unfortunately, the inside wiring harness and terminal plates are missing. It is strange how they didn't change the transmitter and receiver with the 302 type elements. It looks to be refurbed in the late 30s.

The other is a 151AL, converted from a 51AL. There is a hole at the top which says it was a lamp at some point. Has bulldog transmitter. Refurbed in 1949. Works great!

Both c/s have paint which has been amazingly preserved. Both have 2AB dials, with newer number plates from the 30s and 40s.

I love them!
Best regards-Kenton

unbeldi

Looking nice.

For the 151C, you can find out what all those switches do right here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12354.msg130300#msg130300

You need a 634-BC or a 684-BC subset for that with a six-conductor mounting cord.  Happy wiring!

Your two sets go nicely together, because they complement each other. This combo was used on 2-party  message rate lines.  The 151C was used for tip-party, while the 151AL was used for the party on the ring side.

Kenton K

Thanks Unbeldi!

I didn't know they were a set like that. Does the central office distinguish the 151C set from the 151al set from the ringer resistance from GND and Ring?

-Ken

unbeldi

Quote from: Kenton K on February 16, 2015, 04:48:35 PM
Thanks Unbeldi!

I didn't know they were a set like that. Does the central office distinguish the 151C set from the 151al set from the ringer resistance from GND and Ring?

-Ken

Yes.  When taking the receiver off-hook, the 151C (in general the tip-party) presented a 1000 ohm resistance to ground, while the ring party didn't.  The central office had circuitry that detected the condition and the message register knew which party dialed the number.

For these anti-sidetone sets, the ring party could just be a normal 151AL with a 634A or 684A subset, while for the earlier sidetone sets, the 51C and the 51AL pair, both needed a 554-C subset.