News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich 901B with button on top. whutzit4?

Started by RB, March 14, 2018, 09:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Hi
Anyone know what the small button behind the handset was for?
I have a Leich 901B...was there an "A" ?
it has a small button on the top.
it has no other components inside that it works with.

rdelius

The difference might be the baseplate.Early ones were metal and later bakelite.AE manufactured these in later years ,sometimes with type 41 handsets

RB

AE_Collector

I have four of them I believe but haven't seen one with a button. They are replacements for older Magneto sets that also frequently had buttons for various functions like disconnecting your bells while cranking to send more juice out. And wasn't there a scene that sent AC out on just one side of the line to the operator if a button was pushed so the other parties ringers didn't sound?

But on yours, it activates nothing? Like a contact set was removed from the inside or a case with a button was put onto this phone as a replacement?

LarryInMichigan

I have one of those with an AE type 41 handset and that same button in the cradle area.  I don't recall what it does.  I may have posted about it a few years ago, but my memory does not work like it used to, if it ever did.

Larry

RB

Thanks for the info guys.
I am gonna go with the "option" thing.
There is no other part existing in this phone.
no scratches, brackets, etc. so it prob DID get a new hat.
I know about the ground switch, "do not know correct term"
for ringing the operator.
I have seen it on tons of schematics for mostly wood box phones.
so I did not think about the same application on a Leich.
make sense tho.

Ktownphoneco

This may help to clarify the issue.   Automatic Electric Telephone Catalog - 1957 includes 2 or 3 pages on the Leich 900 Series Magneto sets.      These tow pictures aren't the very best quality, as they were converted to jpeg from a pdf format.       I've marked the button in the parts diagram, and put a square around the typed description of the set dealing with the ground button.

Click twice to enlarge for viewing.

Enjoy the day.

Jeff Lamb

RB