News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Koehler Mine Safety Lamp

Started by 19and41, October 08, 2017, 01:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

The discussion of miners' lamps reminded me to get out this little unit.  it burns lighter fluid (naptha) and burns about twice as bright as a candle.  If you ever get one and have trouble getting it open, get some hard drive strength magnets.  There is a magnetic latch in the threaded collar. 

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

I have read about these while looking into my carbide lamp and mine lighting in general, and these are very neat lamps (lanterns?). The way they managed to isolate the flame from the outside atmosphere to prevent an explosion is pretty neat. I wouldn't mine owning one myself as a cross-over piece between my lanterns and the carbide light, but they do get pricey fast. Some are rather ornate in brass and copper.

Nice Light!
TWinbrook7

19and41

Be careful with the ornate ones,  some have been faked.
— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

I can well imagine. There are also some new-ish production versions I stumbled across on Ebay that look like copper/brass ones, but use a simpler burner and have little to no markings on them. I think they are meant more as decor pieces than a function light.

Yours have any other markings besides the brass tag?
TWinbrook7

19and41

Just the mine safety certification info on the top.  I bought it at the Paw Paw MI flea market around 1992.  It's probably more of a decorative, regardless as it it is not very bright.  Bright enough, I guess where it was used, though.
— Arthur C. Clarke