News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

December 7th, 1941 - A Date Which Will Live In Infamy - F.D. R.

Started by Dennis Markham, December 07, 2009, 12:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Lest we forget..........

President Roosevelt's speech made the following day can be heard here:

http://www.radiochemistry.org/history/video/fdr_infamy.html

Dan/Panther

Great Dennis. We must never forget.
As you know I also collect vintage radios. I have one that is like the one my Moms parents had when she was growing up.
I have a collection of old time radio braodcasts, including the program that was being aired when they broke in to announce that Pearl Harbor had been bombed, and the speech also the next day by F.D.R.
So I set it up to play and told my Mom that the president was going to speek and she might be interested in what he had to say.
At first she didn't catch on, until the speech started then you could see her face change and she sat there and listened like it was December 8th 1941 again. That was priceless.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Dennis Markham

Great story Dan.  As with Jorge, I would love to hear that if possible.

Bill Cahill

That speech was pressed onto 78 rpm record by Decca, which I have in my collection.
Onece in a while I pull it out, and, play it.
I certainly haven't forgotten. My father played an important role in WW11.
He was a mechanic. He repaired the jeeps, and, army tanks.
He had a severe heart attack during the war, and, was given an honorable discharge.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

bingster

Here's a zip file containing many hours of programming from December 7, 1941, including the break-ins, early reports, and news programs throughout the day.  Also in the file are many regularly scheduled network entertainment programs which either switched course to present patriotic material, or which were interrupted by news bulletins.  

Many of the files are marked with a network ID, so if you're unfamiliar, NBCR=NBC Red Network, NBCB=NBC Blue Network, MBS=Mutual Broadcasting System, NHK is the Japanese network, and CBS & BBC are obvious.  If the file is too large, I can split it in smaller pieces.

And a shameless plug for the old time radio trading forum I run, www.otrplus.com .  You won't see much until you register, but once you do, you'll find more radio than you can listen to in a lifetime.
= DARRIN =

ntophones

Thank you all for remembering that day. A day, I hope, we will never forget.
--nto

Dennis Markham

Bingster, Am I missing something?  I don't find a zip file.

bwanna

d/p, i like your story :) i'll bet mom enjoyed it. she is probably used to a little trickery from you by now.  ;)

dennis, thanks for speaking up. i just thought i was stupid :o
donna

AET

My Great-Great Uncle was stationed at Pearl Harbor. He lived, I think he was on leave when everything happened.
- Tom

bingster

= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Dan/Panther

Dennis, Jorge;
i wasn't ignoring your request, by the time I could respond a great link was posted.
D/P

Dennis Markham

No problem, Dan.  Bingster, thanks for uploading that file.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bwanna on December 07, 2009, 08:25:00 PM
d/p, i like your story :) i'll bet mom enjoyed it. she is probably used to a little trickery from you by now.  ;)

dennis, thanks for speaking up. i just thought i was stupid :o

Bwanna;
What does one have to do with the other ???? :o
D/P
Yes my Mom is used to my pranks.