News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Jade Green AE 50 ....$10

Started by Gary Z, September 11, 2016, 02:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Z

So I found this Jade colored AE 50 at a local flea market and the guy wanted a whole $10 for it. I couldn't pass that up regardless of its condition. One of my best finds! Now for the clean up. I may need some advice on this on as I do not want to damage it with good intentions. The grime on this is so thick and hard that it goes beyond anything that I have dealt with. It also seems like there are areas of actual corrosion. I have started some wet sanding with 400 and 600 and that seems to really make a difference. I know my buffing wheel is too fast and I do not want to burn it. I have seen posts on the use of bleach and peroxide but will that work on colored AE's?

poplar1

If that is gold trim (not brassed out), then be especially careful with that.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Gary Z

stub

Roody,
            WOW !!!!!! Great find !!!! I do the same on mine, wet sand, start with 400 , 600 , 1500, 2000 grit , then Novus # 2 and your done. Be careful on the vents on the sides and don't sand out the mold marks . I cut out small wood ( 2"x 3/4") sanding blocks . Just don't get in a hurry and it will turn out great.
            Here's my Dawn Gray 880 Speakerphone before pic. and after. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Babybearjs

good luck with the restoration....a jade green #50.....priceless once restored! definately a Keeper! build a backboard for it, that way you can hang it up and show it... I paid 9.95 for mine back in 1979....and its black!  still works too!
John

Pourme

I am (Jade) Green with envy! What a great find....Congrats!

Keep us posted.....Stop by the Find of the Month thread with that one!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Roody....wonderful find...is there any warping to the case? Be very careful with the gold leaf as you can rub it right off. Use some Howards liquid wax on it and see how it looks before the sanding. This is just an amazing find....congrats!!!....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Wow!  I think we have the find of the year here.

Larry

Gary Z

I didn't know there was a 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper. I'll have to hunt some down. Thanks! There are no cracks or warping at all on the phone but the inside may need a complete transplant. The inside of the shell isn't too bad.

I may have to share the BLUE 50 I found last month for $75. I have been pretty lucky lately. That one cleaned up pretty well but there are a few nicks on the blue one. Would you advise the same process with the wet sanding? These to seem to be easier than the 302's to go at them with the sandpaper. I will include a "before" picture of the blue one.

Pourme

Two excellent pieces. I didn't even know they were made in those colors. All grades of the sandpaper as well as 2500 can be bought at NAPA auto parts stores.
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: Roody on September 11, 2016, 05:49:47 PM
I didn't know there was a 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper. I'll have to hunt some down. Thanks!

Auto supply stores (O'Reilly, Advance, Autozone, NAPA, Pep Boys, Car Quest,  those types of stores) in the paint department.

Pourme

I said I didn't realize they made AE 50"s in colors....then I found this on our forum...and those prices!

http://tinyurl.com/jv6d5s5
Benny

AE_Collector

Unbelievable! I've found a couple of black bakelite 50's over the years. I think I have seen a Jade green 50 in a collection once.

It might be worth grabbing a smashed 50 for all of its inside parts rather than trying to clean those up though try to get one with similar wiring, ringer etc to keep it as original as possible.

See you on the Find of the Month topic for September!

Terry

HarrySmith

wow! Not just one but 2 hard to find AE color phones. Fantastic finds! This just proves that they are still out there! Congratulations.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Gary Z

Well, I feel as though there has been considerable improvement and I know there is some ways to go yet but I thought I would share the progress. There are still spots of green paint that I have not been able to completely remove. Is there something that can remove or loosen these paint spots besides elbow grease? This poor thing has had a rough life. I did find a few nicks on the back plate but I can live with them.
Thanks,
Gary Zapparelli