News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 20B Candlestick Parts

Started by LarryInMichigan, September 25, 2016, 10:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I bought a sad WE 20B stick which someone had gutted and turned into a lamp.  Below are pictures of the parts.  The tag on the front of the transmitter plate was removed, and a lamp socket was soldered into the mouthpiece hole.  Interestingly, the lamp socket was connected to a long cloth insulated power cord with c. 1920 Benjamin screw-in plug at the end.  I paid $20 for the phone/lamp, and the plug is apparently worth about that much, so I couldn't have lost too much.  Is this stuff worth anything?

Larry

Ktownphoneco

Larry   ...  It certainly would be to me !   While I'm not all that knowledgeable regarding the "specifics" of the early Western desk stands, the fact that it's got the solid brass perch, with patent dates, a separate transmitter cup and lug, a knurled thumb turn transmitter position clamp assembly and most likely an untouched base and stem, makes it worth a few bucks for parts alone.    If it were mine, I'd start hunting for the correct parts to restore the set.    It's unfortunate that it was attacked by the "lamp gods".

Jeff Lamb

WEBellSystemChristian

You would be surprised how well Nickel can hold up. A little Brasso and something to cover up the lamp hole could make it look like a brand new candlestick!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

LarryInMichigan

This phone is missing too many parts to be a good restoration candidate.  Also, the perch was destroyed by filing off the top to allow the transmitter cup to point upward.  I plan to list some of the parts.  A very knowledgeable member already sent me a message giving me some information about the values of some of the parts. 

It certainly is a shame what was done to it.  The parts that were used for the lamp probably date to the 1920s, so I wonder if this lamp conversion might have actually been done that far back.

Larry

Jim Stettler

If I by a phone that was damaged when converted to a lamp, I make it into a safe lamp and use it in my phone areas. I like to upgrade to 3-way socket and a long (12'-15' ) cord.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

I have a secret desire for a phone lamp to use adjacent to my collection...but would never destroy a good phone to create one...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service