News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

possible damage to coil out of 302 about to be refurbished

Started by southernphoneman, April 07, 2013, 05:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernphoneman

I thank all of you who have posted on this topic, so I have made the decision to go ahead with the refurb. on this phone. update will be made periodicly on my collection photos here on the forum :) ;)

Doug Rose

If you want a condenser, I can give you one for postage only, DO NOT throw the phone away. I have alot of parts from 302s. I must have refurbed 500 f them for sale on eBay. The condenser will leak as I have had more than one that sat in a puddle like this that did not work until I swapped the condenser out.  I certainly don't think it is dangerous, then again...take a good look at my picture  :P  Doug
Kidphone

southernphoneman

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 08, 2013, 06:23:12 PM
If you want a condenser, I can give you one for postage only, DO NOT throw the phone away. I have alot of parts from 302s. I must have refurbed 500 f them for sale on eBay. The condenser will leak as I have had more than one that sat in a puddle like this that did not work until I swapped the condenser out.  I certainly don't think it is dangerous, then again...take a good look at my picture  :P  Doug
doug I have to thank you for help on this issue as well the others who responded. doug that part will come in very handy.once again here is forum members helping out each other.thank again doug....southernphoneman

G-Man

I am unsure just why some are whipping themselves and others into a frenzy since PCB oil was used in high voltage capacitors and transformers for its high dielectric and temperature attributes.

Again, it was used in its oil form and capacitors used in telephone circuits did not require these high dielectric attributes so manufacturers certainly would not have used a material which was unneeded and added considerable expense to their products.

Here are additional portions from the wiki article explaining how PCB fluids were used for capacitors and transformers:

PCB congeners are odorless, tasteless, clear to pale-yellow, viscous liquids

PCBs were used as coolants and insulating fluids (transformer oil) for transformers and capacitors

Manufacturing levels increased in response to the electrical industry's need for a safer (than flammable mineral oil) cooling and insulating fluid for industrial transformers and capacitors.

"Enclosed uses" of PCBs include:

Capacitors
         Insulating fluids in transformers
         Vacuum pump fluids         
         Hydraulic fluids

twocvbloke

Just remember that Wikipedia doesn't hold 100% fact, as it is easily manipulated by anyone and everyone who visits their site... :)

And capacitors in telephones CAN contain PCBs, as documented here by Sam Hallas (first section "The base", third paragraph):

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/collection/bits_706_2.htm

As far as I see it, if it's a big metal can that could be replaced with much smaller capacitors with the same farad and voltage rating, it could contain PCBs, taking some caution does a lot less harm than the stuff in those things... :)

G-Man

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 12, 2013, 06:01:58 PM
Just remember that Wikipedia doesn't hold 100% fact, as it is easily manipulated by anyone and everyone who visits their site... :)

And capacitors in telephones CAN contain PCBs, as documented here by Sam Hallas (first section "The base", third paragraph):

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/collection/bits_706_2.htm

As far as I see it, if it's a big metal can that could be replaced with much smaller capacitors with the same farad and voltage rating, it could contain PCBs, taking some caution does a lot less harm than the stuff in those things... :)

I am only stating scientific facts that myself and fellow engineering students learn during university.

The wiki reference was used only to explain them better than I can and since the wiki article largely agrees with information from numerous regulatory agencies from around the world so I doubt there would be any validity in attacking its credibility.

Below is a portion of a U.N. document regarding PCB.

In this instance we are not referring to an oil-filled capacitor of British manufacture but one made by Western Electric which is not oil-filled, instead it used paraffin and possibly sal ammoniac or similar compounds as a dielectric.

Governmental regulatory agencies in the U.S. have been extremely diligent in notifying and enforcing the rules for these products. Numerous users of PCB laden products have been forced to remove components them and safely dispose of them in toxic waste facilities.

Manufacturers are forced to indentify the products these compounds were used in. There was never a recall issued by the telephone manufacturers for PCB in consumer telephone equipment.

PCB oils were initially proposed as dielectric fluids for use in electrical equipment such as
transformers, capacitors, circuit-breakers, voltage regulators, etc. because of their excellent
dielectric properties and also because of their very low flammability. A PCB oil can absorb
rapid changes in electric fields with very little heating up, i.e. with very little loss of energy.
Also, PCBs have a low flash point and no fire point, meaning that they are stable in changing
temperatures. They only burn if placed in contact with an open flame.

AE_Collector

Once the phone itself is cleaned up, an original replacement capacitor must be an item that many of us have kicking around in parts phones where other parts have already been permanently borrowed.

Terry

southernphoneman

my many thanks goes out to doug rose for sending me this part for my 302, now I can go ahead and finish it. thanks again doug,it just came in the mail. southernphoneman :) ;)

twocvbloke

I was about to ask what you were using that BT phone plug tool for, but I'm guessing it's an RJ10/11 tool, cos it looks ever so slightly different to my BT plug tool from that angle... :D

southernphoneman

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 13, 2013, 03:41:16 PM
I was about to ask what you were using that BT phone plug tool for, but I'm guessing it's an RJ10/11 tool, cos it looks ever so slightly different to my BT plug tool from that angle... :D
that tool also has a wire stripper in and I was stripping wire with it when I re wired the f1 handset. ;) :)

twocvbloke

Yeah, mine has the stripper too, though it seems to be more of a cutter than stripper as the blades are set a little too close together... :D

Still, you get what you pay for, and I paid very little for it... :D

southernphoneman

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 13, 2013, 05:42:25 PM
Yeah, mine has the stripper too, though it seems to be more of a cutter than stripper as the blades are set a little too close together... :D

Still, you get what you pay for, and I paid very little for it... :D
yeah really :D,i have bought a couple of these and the stripper works good at first and then it starts to wear out, but, like you said you get what you pay for ;D

AE_Collector

I thought that the stripper on those was designed to remove 1/4" of the flat wire sheath to crimp the plug onto the end of the cord?

Terry

southernphoneman

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 13, 2013, 06:40:29 PM
I thought that the stripper on those was designed to remove 1/4" of the flat wire sheath to crimp the plug onto the end of the cord?

Terry
hi terry, my little telephone tool(that's what I call it)also has a wire cutter right next to the stripper, and yes it is designed to strip 1/4 of an inch of wire and has the plug crimper as you mentioned, however its almoist time to replace it because it gets a lot of use andthese things are cheap cost wise here in eastern north carolina ; :) by the way congrats. on your pending retirement :) ;)