"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 C/D 425A Net won't ring

Started by HudValley, April 10, 2013, 07:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 14, 2013, 11:04:38 PM
I doubt that RCA has anything to do with Radio Corporation of America!

Terry

It does not, at least today's "RCA" does not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_%28trademark%29
QuoteRCA is an American trademark brand owned by Technicolor SA[1] which is used on products made by that company as well as Audiovox, ON Corporation and Sony Music Entertainment. RCA stood for Radio Corporation of America, a company which later became RCA Corporation which was taken over by General Electric in 1986 and then split up.

twocvbloke

Hmm, our ADSL modem is Technicolor branded, and it's a cheap & nasty POJ*... :D

Sadly a lot of well-known traditional brands are no longer the same, most of which are just slapped onto cheaply made generic things, mostly coming from the far east, you can't really trust brand names these days unfortunately... :-\

(*Pile of Junk)

HudValley

Thanks for everything so far. I have another wall jack on the way, so when I receive it I will swap them out, cross my fingers, and hope it works.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and help. I'm learning a lot as I go along, and you all deserve the credit.

Rob

HudValley

OK, so I received my new jacks today and one mystery has been solved. The jack itself was faulty, so I was testing phone with a faulty jack. Now my other 500s are ringing; however, the original problem phone is still not. I swapped out ringers (now that the other phones are working) and the ringer worked fine in other test phones.

This makes me think that G-Man's original assertion about the capacitor is probably correct. If so, how do I test or resolve this?

Thanks guys!

Rob

Phonesrfun

If it is the capacitor that is at fault, the best way to resolve it is to get a replacement capacitor.  The capacitor is the 500 is inside the network.  Don't go opening the network to replace the cap, however.  The cap in the network is between terminals A and K.  You will notice that the ringer red and red/slate get wired to the capacitor at A and K.

If you can find a .5 mF 250 volt capacitor at Radio shack, wire it to the red and slate/red wires without using A and K on the network.  You might need to get yourself a small two-screw terminal strip at Radio shack to accomplish it.

If your local Radio Shack does not have a .5 mF 250 volt cap, you can find them on line at other places.
-Bill G