News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Awesome Find--Right Under My Nose!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 10, 2017, 05:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Some of you might remember (probably not) my D1 that I found in an antique store a couple years ago. I bought it only because I kind of felt sorry for it--plus, the price wasn't too unreasonable at $62. I later found out that the 'great' paint was really a cheap rattlecan job, with a mismatched handset, no subset cord, old appliance handset cord, newer dial, etc. I could even see primer under the cradle where the painter missed! I put it in a room of the house as a daily dialer, combined with a subset that was also repainted at some point.

Recently, our house is being remodeled, and I figured that this phone was due for a proper restoration with a new coat of paint to look nice in the house. I took some Acetone to the cheap spray paint, which was removed faster than any paint I have ever stripped before. I noticed that the primer wasn't coming off very easily. Huh, this guy must have used different kinds of paint for the primer and basecoat. I looked up at a Green 2500 at the other end of the room--then back down to my D1--then back up at the 2500.

Wait a minute...they're the same color! :o

It looks like the 'Primer' on this phone is actually Moss Green. I suspect this was a Continental in its past life!

I haven't gone any further than the 'during' pictures here, so I don't know how worn the cradle area is. However, the oval base seems to be near perfect, with only a couple negligible nicks here and there. After I realized what this was, I nauseously checked everything I hit with Acetone to see if any of the original Green was worn through. Nope! This is one of WE's more bulletproof coatings; unaffected by Acetone at all. Still, I'll stick to Denatured Alcohol from here on out for the rest of the paint removal!

Wow! How did I manage that? Owning a Green Continental for almost 3 years without even knowing it! Worse yet, I didn't think it was fit for my collection, leaving it in a different room for regular use!

It looks like I'll need a Green Thermoplastic F1 (finding a Green painted F1 in nice shape is pretty unrealistic) and a dial to get this back in nice shape! I'll keep updating here as this progresses!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13930
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

Gee, a Continental in sheep's clothing, and a black sheep at that. You could try to find moss green paint and paint that handset, but the cords and the dial would be more costly. Even cracked up green thermoplastic 302s bring a lot these days.

But maybe someone has a green handset just sitting there? Also there are painted moss green 302s you may find with a somewhat decent handset. They were done by those resellers in the 1960s and 70s and you could get them for $12.95 back in the day. I see them sell every now and then on eBay, but not for $12.95. That wouldn't even cover the shipping.

That's a great story. I guess you never know what is lurking under the paint. Keep us posted on the progress.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's today's update.

I didn't figure the cradle would escape unscathed, and I was right. There's a huge section of paint missing on the front of the cradle, showing the original black underneath. The paint you see in the dial 'cup' appears to be original, and must have been masked off when painted Green.

I eventually learned that the Green paint becomes soft and dull after several immediate repeat passes of either Acetone or Denatured Alcohol, so that was a challenge. It didn't help that it was hard to distinguish black spray paint that needed removing (on top of the Green) and original Black paint that had to stay on the phone (under the Green). The Green paint was sandwiched between two coats of black. Much of the cradle was like that, but fortunately, I got 99.999% of the spray paint off without removing any Green. :)

I'm pretty sure all of the black you see is the original coat before this was turned into a Continental. I lightly polished the surface and waxed it. The pictures don't do it justice--it looks fantastic in person!

I have a 1956 #6 dial that has a new coat of White paint drying in the basement. I got a correct style dial plate, and located a slightly damaged open center fingerwheel. The damaged fingerwheel doesn't bother me much--my Pekin Red Continental also has a damaged fingerwheel.

Other than cords from OPW and a handset, this thing is almost done! ;D
Christian Petterson

mentalstampede

Awesome! You sure have incredible luck in the things you find.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

RotarDad

Nice job cleaning that up , Christian!!  Question: would that phone have had a green plastic F-1, or did they also paint black (or brown) ones green as well?
Paul

Doug Rose

Paul,,,,,Painted F1 with green cloth cords. Handset cord either straight or curly......sharp looking sets....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks guys!! I guess I just get lucky with stuff like this lately!

Quote from: RotarDad on November 11, 2017, 09:14:54 PM
Nice job cleaning that up , Christian!!  Question: would that phone have had a green plastic F-1, or did they also paint black (or brown) ones green as well?
Thanks Paul!

This phone should either have a painted black F1 (grooved) or painted brown. Painted black is by far the most commonly found.

Technically, a Green plastic F1 wouldn't be correct from what we have seen, but it's possible. Refurb shops used what they could to make these phones, using #4, #5, #6, and even various dial blanks and black and brown F1s to use up tons of spare parts; so I would assume that if someone at a refurb shop found a spare Green Thermoplastic F1, they wouldn't hesitate to use it. Imperials are found with Ivory thermoplastic handsets about half the time anyway.

I found a company that will make matching color spray paint for any Pantone number. Problem: I need to find the matching Pantone color for this! ::)
Christian Petterson

jsowers

Just my opinion from comparing it to your pictures...

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/10298-C

You can look at their colors until the cows come home, but find something close and paint both the handset and base since both need painting and it should look fine. You might want to find a worse looking F1 than you have now. That one still has lots of shine and it would be a shame to sand and paint it.

Use this link to try and get it closer if you like. Having it next to the computer screen should help.

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Actually, I think I found a better solution. The problem was bugging me all night. I did tons of research, and I think I have the answer.

There's a color scanning device called NIX Mini that I found on Amazon. You hold it against an object, let it scan, and it will transfer the color information of the scanned object to a smartphone connected via Bluetooth. The info includes different paint brands that supply that paint (all wall paint brands such as Behr, Sherwin Williams, etc), RGB and CMYK values, and a HEX code. That HEX code can be entered into a converter online which converts it to the matching Pantone number. Another website allows you to order various kinds of spray paint and touchup markers in that exact Pantone number.

In short--I think I'll be able to match the paint perfectly!! As for the expense of the device...I can use it for countless other projects. My Mahogany Brown 500 needs a matching color dial blank. My Pink Mushroom needs matching paint for the light hood. My 1234Gs need matching subsets.

I'll have to wait and see, but this should go smoothly! ;D
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: jsowers on November 12, 2017, 12:52:50 AM
Just my opinion from comparing it to your pictures...

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/10298-C

You can look at their colors until the cows come home, but find something close and paint both the handset and base since both need painting and it should look fine. You might want to find a worse looking F1 than you have now. That one still has lots of shine and it would be a shame to sand and paint it.

Use this link to try and get it closer if you like. Having it next to the computer screen should help.

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder
Thanks for matching the color in the picture to Pantone, by the way. I don't think I'll end up repainting the base, because the current paint is the only thing that makes this a Continental. If I repaint the base, there's nothing that really connects it back to being authentic. Plus, the paint seems worn, not chipping or failing. The missing paint running down the front of the cradle appears to be from someone rubbing their thumb there every time the handset was picked up or set down.

I have plenty of seriously damaged and worn F1s that I won't use for anything else. Any of those will be perfect for this!

I got the new dial installed. I'll post a picture in a little while.
Christian Petterson

Pourme

Christian,

What you are doing and are about to do is very interesting and innovative. Once you establish the perfect Continental green, Ivory, Peking Red and no doubt other colors, you could help other collectors secure the colors they need for their projects.(?)

Assuming you would be willing to do so.

Perhaps others could place their own orders based on your research?

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Pourme on November 12, 2017, 12:41:06 PM
Christian,

What you are doing and are about to do is very interesting and innovative. Once you establish the perfect Continental green, Ivory, Peking Red and no doubt other colors, you could help other collectors secure the colors they need for their projects.(?)

Assuming you would be willing to do so.

Perhaps others could place their own orders based on your research?

Benny
Yeah, sure I would!!

I'm thinking about making a separate topic for all 302 and 500 color values, codes, Pantone numbers, etc; once I get the color scanner. Heck, I have all of the 500 colors, and have a couple examples of the 302 colors. To make the list complete, I'd need examples of Old Rose, Gray Green and Dark Blue (302), assuming the last two aren't the same as Moss Green and Mediterranean Blue.

I would also provide the Pantone number and a link to the paint company that makes the Pantone-matched paint. All you need to do is enter the number into a search box there and order what you want.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's it is with a new dial. It's a 1956 6A with a 1953 dial plate.
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

Christian....Is the green paint any better on the back, loosen the cradle and spin it around....Doug
Kidphone