News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Clear Model 302 on eBay

Started by Dennis Markham, March 12, 2009, 12:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

This ought to bring out the big pocket books............
http://tinyurl.com/as55gz

HobieSport

Wow, that's neat.  Did Western Electric make many clear sets?  I had no idea.  I like clear phones.

benhutcherson

Wow, I didn't know that such a thing existed.

Was the maybe a World's Fair special or something of that sort? I can't imagine them making one for general release.

Dennis Markham

Ben, I think they gave them to employees at certain points of their careers...maybe I'm wrong about this but that what I remember someone telling me.  I know that reproductions sell in the $400 price range.  Ray Kotke (the same fella that makes the subset covers) makes these.  I've seen one in person.  They are flawless.  I don't know what he's getting for one these days.

http://www.telephonecreations.com/prod02.htm

But you may be right on...the dial card in the center of this reproduction is from the New York World's Fair.

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Does he make the entire phone, or just the case and hanset ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

That, I do not know.  My buddy has one and it looks pretty much like the one in the photo.  I'm assuming he puts it all together.

McHeath

Wow!  Gonna be scary expensive.

BDM

Quote from: McHeath on March 12, 2009, 07:35:04 PM
Wow!  Gonna be scary expensive.

I was quoted for just the complete plastics, $400+
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

I just got through talking with Ray, and he said you can tell his phones by the Worldd's Fair dial card.
But of course he said someone could take the card out.
His clear 302 handset, caps, and body sell for $475.00, with a 3 to 4 month lead time.
You provide the insides.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Thanks Dan...now we know the rest of the story!

mienaichizu

I think AE 40's are also available in clear colored plastics

benhutcherson

I would expect that anyone bothering to drop $450 on one of Ray's cases would take the time to really shine up the insides and make them look nice.

Those bells look a bit rough, like they haven't ever been polished. So, that, to me, points toward it being an original.

Dennis Markham

Ben you were absolutely right-on about it being made for the World's Fair.  If you haven't seen the questions that have since been posted and answered it's worth taking a look at them.  Some long-time collectors have enlightened the seller about the phone.  She refused the first "generous" offer of $300, letting the phone run its course.

It would be interesting to learn how she happened to stumble onto this phone.

HobieSport

What an amazing find.  I wonder how few of these original clear 302s were built.

McHeath

Yep, lots of phone pholks are letting the seller know that this baby is uber rare and worth a mint.  So much for my hope to swoop in and get it for 23 clams right before the auction ends.  ;)