News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What can you guys tell me about this?

Started by bwanna, September 08, 2010, 08:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanna

pictured is a find of a fellow dealer. i am not familiar with this maker. looks like an intercom set to me. ..any input appreciated.. it is missing the bottom plate.& the cloth cords are a little frayed, otherwise, looks to be in nice condition.

thank you very much! :)
donna

Phonesrfun

I would say from looking at the photos it's an intercom, but I have no information about it.
-Bill G

bwanna

shoot, bill...you were the one i was counting on to be "in the know"... ;) why do ya think there are 2 line cords...one is 2conductor ...the other 3conductor.... ???
donna

bingster

Long before this phone came out, wasn't Edwards a player in the little apartment intercom thingies?  Like the little brass Couch intercoms?  I know I've seen that name on equipment before, and I think that was where.
= DARRIN =

Wallphone

I think that all they made was intercoms. They made a nice looking handset to go with them. Here is a link to Paul's site -- > http://www.paul-f.com/deskman.htm <
Dougpav

paul-f

Edwards was into intercoms big time.  They appear in electrical distributor catalogs oform the 1920s and 30s.

I can probably find one to photograph the bottom plate, if that will help.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

bwanna

yes, paul, that would be great. what do you guys think something like this would be worth? it is a cool looking piece. what else would be needed to make it work?..besides another intercom set..
donna

paul-f

Most intercom circuits have a battery and a coil, although Ralph Meyer's book (Old Time Telephones!) has several intercom circuits that don't use a coil.

You can probably use diagrams for Western Electric interphones as a model.  There must be some in the TCI Library.

Intercoms don't seem to do well on ebay.  Most I've noticed close at under $40 unless there's something especially decorative.

bwanna

i'll look there, paul. i also have ralph meyer's book.

she offered it to me for $20, but i passed. i told her i would post here for more info on what it was. telephones & related items are not big sellers at the antique store.
donna

paul-f

The Murdock is handy, so here are a few photos.  ISTR it is identical to the Edwards.  In fact this one has an Edwards buzzer attached to the bottom plate.

It's simply a flat piece of metal cut to shape and painted black.  There are countersinks for flat head screws and holes for the 4 rubber feet and buzzer.

(There was an optional bottom plate with a slide out panel for telephone numbers.)