News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 w/Extra Capacitor?

Started by George Knighton, December 04, 2012, 01:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

What I have in my ivory WE 302 doesn't look quite like the capacitor that was pictured in another thread, so I just want to be sure of what I'm looking at (attached).

This is an extra capacitor (the huge metal cylinder) attached to assist with ringing, is that right?

Annoying new poster.

Phonesrfun

The H5 designation on the case is the clue.  It is a 306, not a 302, and was made for party line 4-party selective ringing with a cold cathode tube, which appears to now be missing.  This phone can certainly be made to work as a regular 302, and being ivory, would be well worth the effort.

See Paul-F's site on the 300 series and scroll down to the 306.

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm

The scematic for the 305 can be obtained from the TCI website.
-Bill G

rdelius

The extra capacator replaced the ringing tube .The capacator in the 302 dad 2 sections .The 306 had one section ,the 2uf talking side

George Knighton

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 04, 2012, 04:44:45 PM
The H5 designation on the case is the clue.  It is a 306, not a 302, and was made for party line 4-party selective ringing with a cold cathode tube, which appears to now be missing.  This phone can certainly be made to work as a regular 302, and being ivory, would be well worth the effort.

See Paul-F's site on the 300 series and scroll down to the 306.

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm

The scematic for the 305 can be obtained from the TCI website.

It turns out that this was already converted to single party use.  I'm absolutely sure now that it's going to work.  :-)  Did some re-wiring, and it's ringing and has good quality both listening and receiving.

Not putting it into full time use, though.  Still have some decisions to make about how to clean up the case, and whether or not to bend the base to make it easy for the shell to go on and come off.

Although the cover came off with only a little trouble, it's very clear that if I put it back onto the unmodified base...it's gonna be there to stay. 
Annoying new poster.