News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Stromberg Carlson bakelite model ??

Started by guitar1580, December 20, 2019, 09:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar1580

I've recently been straying away from Western Electric and picking up whatever catches my eye ... actually, I guess I've always done that.  This was advertised as a Stromberg Carlson 1191, from the 1930s, but the schematic on the bottom plate says 1207.  It seems to also look like an 1197 that I've seen.  If anyone knows, or knows of a reference chart of SC model numbers, please let me know.

The bakelite is very clean, and I really took a liking to the style & look.  These pics are before I've even cleaned it up.  I may just put a period cord on it and use for display, or I may get a subset for it and get it working, if it's not too hard to find. 

If you have one of these, or a similar model, feel free to share.

JT

paul-f

JT,

I grew up in Rochester, NY and started my collection with SC sets.

The 1207 is a variation of the 1197. It's mentioned in a 1942 catalog in the TCI Library here (click on the 1197 bookmark):

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=sc+1207

Includes the text: "1207 Handset Telephone-With Induction Coil in Base (see Magneto Telephones)  13.60"

Photos of the internals would be nice.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

guitar1580

Thanks for the link Paul.  Interesting catalog, but I couldn't find where the 1207 was mentioned, or my actual phone.  I found about every other number close to it. 

From what I can tell, my handset looks like the number 20 handset.  I did find an 1197 on ebay that looks identical and with same handset.

Here is a pic with the bottom off.  I'll get one of the handset componets later.

JT

Jim Stettler

1197, 1198 and 1212 are basically body styles.
1197 non-dial, 1198 dial provision, 1212 is a Fatboy.
At a show yours  would probably get called an 1197 by most collectors.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1207 is a variation of the 1197 as mentioned in Paul's post.

Page 14 of the posted catalog shows the variations of the 1197 including the 1207. The 1207 is the most expensive variation on the page ($13.00)

The variations seem to be different handsets and/or subsets.
Page 15 mentions the colors available, clear sets are not mentioned , but could be ordered by the salesmen as a sales aid.

(Paul's link) https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=sc+1207

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Guitar1580, are you adding your photos using an external link, my iPad is struggling to load the images.

If you are linking externally, better to remove and add the photos directly to this site using 'attachments and other options' when posting.

:)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

guitar1580

Thanks Jim.  I downloaded and took a closer look at that catalog, and got it figured out.  Interesting line of old phones.  I'm glad I got it.

Sry about the photos Fab.  I was linking from imgur.  I deleted and re-loaded directly from my computer.  Let me know if that works better.  I have a few others I need to change.  I'm glad you let me know because I just took a bunch of new pics to post.

JT

FABphones

Thanks JT, much better to add photos directly when posting.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble