News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I was able to talk a seller out of her "optimistic" asking price and got this for $45 with shipping.  I am a sucker for nice nickel plate, especially when it is covering a knurled nut and  two piece transmitter cup.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

That looks like a great way to start a fire. 

Phoniac

Sarge, That is one of the worst! It really tears me up to see what some will do to a once great phone. Specially when they do it to a pair of candle sticks, just want to smack'em in the back of the head with a 2X4.

Sargeguy

It's pretty easily fixed, actually.  I have a couple of 293A subset boxes that have been languishing.  I will swap the backboard and door from this phone onto one of those, and drill a few holes for the hook using the panel as a jig.  Finding the guts is going to be the hard part.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phoniac

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 26, 2011, 09:21:15 PM
It's pretty easily fixed, actually.  I have a couple of 293A subset boxes that have been languishing.  I will swap the backboard and door from this phone onto one of those, and drill a few holes for the hook using the panel as a jig.  Finding the guts is going to be the hard part.

Sarge, What peeves me the most is, that it'll never be original as manufactured anymore. As with a lot of vintage and antique items out there nowadays it's getting harder and harder to find something untouched that some nitwit hasn't had his busy little fingers in.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 26, 2011, 09:21:15 PM
It's pretty easily fixed, actually.  I have a couple of 293A subset boxes that have been languishing.  I will swap the backboard and door from this phone onto one of those, and drill a few holes for the hook using the panel as a jig.  Finding the guts is going to be the hard part.
Sarge....I agree...it is still a really great looking phone that you can bring back to its past glory. What was this person thinking? A new way to burn down his house!....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

This has Boy Scouts written all over it.  I can see how someone really wanted to make a lamp conversion but didn't have a candlestick or imperial on hand.  I just wish they had cut through the bottom and not the sides to preserve some of the dovetailing.  These phones always require some degree of scrounging for parts, so the switching out of boxes doesn't bother me too much.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

QuoteThis has Boy Scouts written all over it.

That makes sense.  One of the things that boy scouts have to learn is how to build a fire :D

Larry

Sargeguy

These are photos of a candlestick lamp conversion that I have been offered, $75 shipped:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Can't tell from the picture, but it looks like a friendly conversion with the attachment in the transmitter mount. I'd ask for a close up of that connection, otherwise looks like a nice stick....Doug
Kidphone

Wallphone

So which one is it, your new lamp phone or one that somebody offered for $75?

Sargeguy

When someone offers me a 51AL for $75 shipped it becomes my new lamp by default. 
;D
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The phone just arrived.  It is complete except for the wiring harness and the transmitter guts.  As luck would have it I have a microphone made from a 323 that has a face with the 323 struck out.  The big problem id the base.  The dial blank is soldered onto the base.  I am trying to figure out the best way to remove it. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

If it is just solder you should be able to heat it up enough with a propane torch to soften the solder and seperate it. If it is welded that will be another story.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

Thanks, Luckily my wife makes jewelry as her second job, so I just borrowed the mini torch and a ball peen hammer and presto!  

Next issue: transmitter cup has slots instead of holes for the transmitter mounting screws.  I was led to believe that this was done on microphones and railroad phones and was not featured on genuine telephones.  Is that true?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409