"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strange Receiver with Button

Started by George Knighton, January 18, 2013, 09:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

http://tinyurl.com/at3ndod

Have been looking out for pushbutton handsets recently, and noticed this thing.  I've never seen anything quite like this before.

Anybody know what it's from?

I've seen G-sets and F-sets with the button to talk, but I've never seen one quite like this.

Annoying new poster.

paul-f

Quote from: George Knighton on January 18, 2013, 09:10:22 AM

...but I've never seen one quite like this.

That's why this page was developed...

http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsets.html#1001

It's a Western Electric 1001-style handset.

The handset was used for a variety of testing purposes and was part of several portable (wood-boxed) sets.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

G-Man

Difficult to specify without seeing the model number since it could be anyone of a number of  Western Electric Handsets as shown in early catalogs.
The 1908 and 1916 and the other Western Electric catalogs in the TCI Library will give you an idea as to the varity of models.

A few of the more common models are the 1001, 1002 and 1004 series.

Some models were used as lineman's test sets and portable telephones while others saw service at switchboards in low-traffic areas.
I have several in my collection as does a number of others on this and other forums.

HowardPgh

Some of those are fieldphone handsets and some models can be used in place of a candlestick phone.
Howard
Howard

G-Man

Representative types include:

1001- For Lineman's Testing
No. 285W Transmitter
No. 131W Receiver
No. 348 3-ft. Cord

1001C - For use with portable telephone sets
No. 285W Transmitter
No. 131W Receiver
No. 366 6-ft. Cord

1001F - For use with street railway telephone sets
No. 244W Transmitter
No. 131W Receiver
No. 422 5 ft. 2 in. Cord         

With a push-button that functions as a switch hook.

George Knighton

1004: --> "US Indian Forest Service"  That was unexpected.

It was also unexpected to get good answers so quickly.  Thanks very much.

So the button up top near the ear is just a regular push to talk?  I didn't understand why it wasn't in the middle of the receiver, like the others I've seen.

Doug Rose even had an F1 for sale recently, and its button was in the middle of the set.
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Here's the seller's picture of the button at the top.

Annoying new poster.

Russ Kirk

Quote from: G-Man on January 18, 2013, 10:13:11 AM
1001C - For use with portable telephone sets
No. 285W Transmitter
No. 131W Receiver
No. 366 6-ft. Cord

1001F - For use with street railway telephone sets
No. 244W Transmitter
No. 131W Receiver
No. 422 5 ft. 2 in. Cord         

With a push-button that functions as a switch hook.

You can see in the auction photos it is a 1C with a 131 receiver, cannot see the transmitter.  The gold is really brass showing where the nickel has worn off.

I have a couple of these cool handsets in my collection.  The unit type is stamped inside middle, on a plate.  The TX/RX type are stamped on the base ring facing the inside of the handset.   

One of mine also has the set attached,  but it lacks the cover.  Does someone have a photo of the set cover?  Is it wood?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

DavePEI

Quote from: George Knighton on January 18, 2013, 11:40:31 AM
1004: --> "US Indian Forest Service"  That was unexpected.

I have a matched pair of 1004 handsets in a presentation case. It was presented to John MacDonald by Bell Northern Research on the occasion of his retirement.

2 "D" cells are contained inside the hand grip, and the box contains an induction coil and buzzer. Line attaches to the two terminals on the bottom. One is shown side-on, and the other face-up.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

Quote from: George Knighton on January 18, 2013, 11:40:31 AM

So the button up top near the ear is just a regular push to talk?  I didn't understand why it wasn't in the middle of the receiver, like the others I've seen.

Could be.  The button could activate switches with different contact layout on different variations.

For example, as was mentioned, it could act as a switchhook in a desk stand replacement application.

It could also be wired to the buzzer circuit in an interphone system -- used to call other stations.

A detailed reading of many catalogs and BSPs would be needed to research all the planned uses.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

DavePEI

I found a photo I tool of one of my two WE1004 phones with its cover off, and showing the induction coil, vibrator, schematic, etc. Thought some might be interested. I took this several years ago after John's presentation case arrived...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

the phone house

Steve @ The Phone House