News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Late 1890 WE Wall Magneto Phone

Started by Doug Rose, June 04, 2017, 12:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Patent dates on the side. This is really cool. Jan found it this morning....Doug
Kidphone

Alex G. Bell

Not exactly a wall phone or it would have transmitter holes on the front.  Rather it is the top box for a 2 or 3 box wall phone.  Looks like it might be a No. 21.

TelePlay

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on June 04, 2017, 12:56:50 PM
Not exactly a wall phone or it would have transmitter holes on the front.  Rather it is the top box for a 2 or 3 box wall phone.  Looks like it might be a No. 21.

Were you guessing right by looking at it components or did you catch the faint "TYPE 21" stamped into the back?

HarrySmith

You would have to have eyesight much better than mine to pick that out in your original picture!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on June 04, 2017, 02:11:43 PM
Were you guessing right by looking at it components or did you catch the faint "TYPE 21" stamped into the back?
Neither.  Remembering with slight uncertainty about the accuracy of the recollection (to be exact) ;D 

I've owned one since the mid-1970s.  Mine is mostly complete and still has good, probably original finish.  I think the only missing parts might be the receiver & hook but perhaps the hook's there. 

I also own a VG early example of the 293 set with patent dates impressed on the side.  That's a single box CB set, about the same size, (slightly smaller and shallower), so called "hotel phone".

Doug Rose

thanks Guys....I do appreciate it...Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Interesting.  I have a stack of these in the basement, and the TYPE 21 is usually on the side above the patent dates.  Putting such markings on the back was a later innovation, and I can't recall seeing it done on a TYPE 21.  In fact here is a picture of one with the same dates and the TYPE 21 stamp above them. 

I would have thought that the switch had been made after the TYPE 21 was obsolete but I guess not.  The date range based upon the patent dates is 1901-1902 so I'd put this box nearer to 1902.  Those binding posts are the later type.  I think this could be the latest TYPE 21 box I've seen.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409