News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Latest thrift store find.

Started by Greg G., April 01, 2009, 09:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

This one is not really much to brag about, and I'm trying to be picky about what I buy.  (But I've always loved "show and tell", haha!)

It's a Stromberg-Carlson from the early 70s, April 71 to be exact.  I was going to pass it up but thought "what the hey", it was only $1.99, not all banged up, and the 4-prong to modular adapter was worth that much.  I tested it using my highly sophisticated telephone testing equipment (land line and a cell phone, sarcasm intended) and it works fine.  I don't know what kind of green that is, it's not quite dark enough to be OD green, pea green I guess you'd call it.

http://img15.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=sc500d1971005.jpg
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

mienaichizu

i love the green colored phone, BTW, is that a Siemens and Hanske phone on your avatar?

Greg G.

Quote from: mienaichizu on April 01, 2009, 10:11:35 PM
i love the green colored phone, BTW, is that a Siemens and Hanske phone on your avatar?

Nope, that's an NEC (Nippon Electric Company) Type 3.  It was my first find and I found it on Craigslist for $30.  Works, but I can't get it to ring.  I think it's just a matter of hooking up the connections properly, and possibly replacing the cords, but it dials out and receives calls.

http://img12.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=nectype3002.jpg

http://www.naonao.jp/tel_eng/
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

You sure can't beat a buck ninety-nine for a working telephone.  Like you said, the 4 prong adapter is worth more than that.  Good find.

mienaichizu

if you don't mind, I copy your photo just for comparison

both phones almost looks the same, only with a different handset and cradle

AET

A buck ninety nine for that!  LUCKY YOU!!!  Some guys just have all the luck.  And in a great color too!  Congrats on that find!
- Tom

Greg G.

Quote from: mienaichizu on April 01, 2009, 11:02:38 PM
if you don't mind, I copy your photo just for comparison

both phones almost looks the same, only with a different handset and cradle

Looks like we have similar tastes in lamps too -
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on April 01, 2009, 11:47:18 PM
A buck ninety nine for that!  LUCKY YOU!!!  Some guys just have all the luck.  And in a great color too!  Congrats on that find!

At this stage of the game I think I've about broke even.  Between this one and my first, the NEC, I have 5 other phones that I paid too much for.  Here's the children all snuggled in for the night.  The back row I know work, the other 3 I haven't tested yet:

- Mike Row
e