This makes me sick

Started by AET, October 23, 2009, 09:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

- Tom

bwanna

donna

JorgeAmely

What's next? Lamps made out of rotary phones? Bird houses?

Jorge  :(
Jorge

bellsystemproperty

I will call him in the morning and have a serious discussing about the ethics of this project. You should call him as well and try to talk some sense into this dangerous lunatic. I will post his response.

Dan/Panther

Hay, maybe the guy in on to something.
You know what, I'm going to make a planter out of old dial phones. Please send me all you have.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Yeah, here D/P I got this old black ugly phone for you, it has some weird number on the bottom that says "500" towards the front and then the numbers "12/49", I'm sure it means nothing.  Anyway please make it into a very nice pot for a fern or bonzai tree.
;)

foots

The same thing happens to old typewriters. People destroy really nice typewriters by pulling the keytops off to make jewelry such as bracelets, charms, rings, ect.... Its horrible to destroy a peice of history for something like that.
Just yesterday I saw a very nice old hand operated water pump that had been turned into a lamp, as well as a very old percolator. Are lamps really in demand that much?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan/Panther

McHeath;
That's really a little older than I was looking for, but if you insist, I'll take it, I probably can't use, it but maybe another will need some parts, I can take off of yours. :o :o :o
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: foots on October 24, 2009, 12:49:12 PM
The same thing happens to old typewriters. People destroy really nice typewriters by pulling the keytops off to make jewelry such as bracelets, charms, rings, ect.... Its horrible to destroy a peice of history for something like that.
Just yesterday I saw a very nice old hand operated water pump that had been turned into a lamp, as well as a very old percolator. Are lamps really in demand that much?

I can't tell you how many old hand-crank or even later electric model upright Victrolas I've come across that were gutted and turned into liquor cabinets.  Makes me want to reach in, grab a bottle and start guzzling!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AET

That's like Vintage TV's turned into Fish Tanks. Ugh!
- Tom

bellsystemproperty

I just called her today. I recommended that she scrap some touchtones or rotary phone look alikes. I also went into how dials are a diminishing resource and all that stuff. I also told her I was on a rotary phone talking to her. (my red 500) She was actually really nice about it and seems like she will take my advice.

Just saved some phones ;D

AET

I plan on calling her too, maybe we can offer to purchase some rotary phones if she has any.
- Tom

bwanna

good work, bsp... you may win this month's PETT merit award ;)

good idea, tom.  :)
donna

McHeath

QuotePETT merit award

People for the Ethical Treatment of Telephones. ;)

benhutcherson

I don't know why people can't simply leave well enough alone.

I've mentioned here before that I've recently taken an interest in watch repair. When I try to find parts, I'm often in competition with people who want those same parts to make jewelry.

What I see as a good, useable 4th wheel for a Waltham model 1857, for example(a part which I recently had the need for), someone else sees as something that they can hang on a necklace.

Personally, I think it's far more important and useful to have a good, working watch that, with the part in place, will probably continue to work for at least another 140 years, than it is to put it on a necklace that will be lost, broken, or forgotten about in the next couple of years.

And, of course, we've all seen the candlestick telephone lamps. I personally think that anyone who makes a lamp out of a candlestick should be shot.