News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

F1 Handset Dating

Started by rp2813, January 09, 2009, 04:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

Hey guys, I just found an AWOL 302 phone and two spare F1 handsets in a box.  Handsets are all curly corded but one has no date on the crimp, like maybe it isn't a WE cord. Phone is 6/46 except for transmitter/receiver capsules.  Out of the 3 handsets, two say "made" by WE while the other says "manufactured" by WE.  Does anyone know when they switched from "manufactured" to "made" by WE? 
Ralph

rp2813

Also forgot to mention that the ones that say "manufactured" also say WE "company."  The ones that say "made" just say WE. 
Ralph

BDM

Quote from: rp2813 on January 09, 2009, 04:54:55 PM
Hey guys, I just found an AWOL 302 phone and two spare F1 handsets in a box.  Handsets are all curly corded but one has no date on the crimp, like maybe it isn't a WE cord. Phone is 6/46 except for transmitter/receiver capsules.  Out of the 3 handsets, two say "made" by WE while the other says "manufactured" by WE.  Does anyone know when they switched from "manufactured" to "made" by WE? 

Not sure? But what comes to mind are the two different F1 handsets. The early ones were solid and used "molded in" contact strips through the handle, to allow connection of the receiver. The later ones were hollow so to say. They had a pigtail connection harness running through to the receiver.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

rp2813

I didn't even think to check if the "made by" ones were hollow.  I'll go back and take a look.  Thanks.
Ralph

rp2813

Interesting results after taking a closer look at the 3 handsets.  One of the "made by" type is definitely hollow, and with the sort of rough raw finish at both ends inside, it appears that it started out as a solid handset.  The other "made by" type is on the 302, and it's still a solid one.  The "manufactured by" has also been hollowed out at some point.  Interesting mystery around these handsets and when things happened to them at the factory or during refurbishing.
Ralph