News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BIN WE Phone Oh, my God! I bought another!

Started by Bill Cahill, January 10, 2009, 12:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

Hi. Someone showed it in the auctions forum. I went to it, and, it was I believe, a 1955 WE 500 that was white, and, painted over in black. I made a counter offer on it, and, owner sold it to me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=300227560710

Am I crazy? I figured I'd strip the black paint off.
Too much for it? I paid 8.50, plus, about 15.00 shipping... I don't have any white phones...........
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Sargeguy

How do you strip thermoplastic?  I have a 302 that I bought that some one spratpainted at some point.  It looks okay but I'd rather get rid of it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan

Bill, If you are able to strip it, let us know. I would like to know if the housing date comes off when you strip it. I put a soft plastic receiver cap in the dishwasher and the date (ink) came off :( . It should be soft plastic if it is a '55. Send pics when you get it, thanks
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

I hate to be the voice of doom and gloom, but I think only the handset is white, painted black.  It looks like both handset caps and the phone's case are solid black plastic.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
That'what I thought also, but a  G-1 shouldn't cost much, to put the 55 back original.
D/P

Dan

I think if you look @ the chip on the corner, it looks white, so maybe it is a white housing, but the auction says the handset is painted white, not the phone......

The s857  on the back means it was serviced Aug , '57, so maybe they put a painted handset on it for some reason.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Bill Cahill

>:( :(

Well, I got screwed on this poj.
Nice, expensive parts phone. :(

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

bingster

I don't think so, Bill.  All you need is a black handset shell, and you've got yourself a nice '55.
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

I wish. DP said it looks to be more like a '57 model, and, there is a chip in the bottom front corner of case. I'd have to replace that, as well.
Bill Cahill

Dan/Panther

According to the photos I saw, it could either be '55 or '58.
As far as the shell, it looks like a piece missing from the lower right front, and the listing confirmed my fears.
D/P

McHeath

Yeah probably Ma Bell painted that handset, I've got one that was once green and they painted it brown.  You could certainly use this case to try out that amazing plastic repair that Dennis and his friend did to that 302 with the broken cradle ears. 

Bill Cahill

Well, it arrived yesterday....
It was unusually very well packed. They did a fine job of it.
Further, it has an old thick grey connecting cord, and, original grey hard wired jack at the end. Looks like it's from late 50's. Looks like this may have been a small business phone.

Phone is black. Not painted. Bad chip in front, as noted.
Dial has a paint spatter.
Receiver used to be white.Receiver cap is also white, painted, but, trqansmitter cap appears to be black bakelite.
I usually wouldn't say this on something this bad, but, It MAY be worth salvaging....
Bill Cahill Oh, I think it's a '56 model.

McHeath

That long grey line cord is worth something by itself.