"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Type A to Type F US Navy Phones

Started by ntophones, January 06, 2010, 02:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Ntophones ,
                   Mail person didn't pick up all the letters yesterday. I found yours in box this morning. They got it today.
                   BTW did you find any piano wire? I have to make some more handset holders for my AE -50.  Yeah, I hid them from myself!!!! The wire gauge will be  AWG- 9 (.114) or AWG-10 (.101) if you can find it.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ntophones

Stub--
Haven't found the wires, yet. I was waiting to measure, but, since you have given me the gauges, I can start looking for some. I'm also scouting around for a jig!
THanks, again.
--nto

ntophones

Hey there--
I made the clips. They aren't that great, but, as of now the best I can do.
I ended up using some old antenna cable (copper center.) Very pliable and the right size. Then, I used the piano wire I bought (very stiff--couldn't bend it), for the bar in the back, to hold old copper wire, which I used instead of clips.
It doesn't look too bad, if you don't look at it too closely. But, they work.

Stub--
Thank you so much for the pattern and the pictures. They really helped me, but I couldn't get as good a clip as yours.
As you can see, in the third picture, my clips are not even on the inside, which bugs me, but, I kept getting worse the more clips I made, so I decided to call it a day on clip building.  :P
--nto

Wallphone

I don't have any piano wire to experiment with, but I think you would have better luck working with it if you heated it with a propane torch first.

Dougpav

ntophones

Oh, man, that's a little out of my league....I'll bet you're right, though.
I was lucky to cut it... :)
--nto

stub

Ntophones ,
                    That looks pretty good from here!!! You will just have to adjust them just a little. The heat will help soften the wire , then you can bend it up and adjust for the best fit . When you get it just right ,take them out and heat to red hot and cool suddenly in water and this will return some of the hardness and they won't bend easily, then clean and paint , your done!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ntophones

Finally finished and hung the AE50B phone!
I made clips out of steel coat hangers, like you, Stub. Then, I painted them black.
I got the whole phone hung today. It works and looks great!
Thanks for your help!
nto
--nto

Craig T

Nice job fabricating those clips! You should post a fresh pic when you get a chance.

ntophones

Oops--forgot the picture!
--nto

stub

Ntophones,
                  Nice job and your welcome!!!!!!!!!  That new handset really looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!   Very nice looking phone!!!!!!!!!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ntophones

Thanks! I'm super excited. It looks much better in person, actually--the brass looks good. That old handset was one I had, but it really shined up nicely! Thank you so much for the clip pattern. Mine are not perfect, but if you don't look too closely, they match well enough. I'm really glad they are there, since I can see me pulling the handset off if I'm in a hurry.
--nto

Ryan_M

Hi there... This is my first post to a forum of any kind. I have only been collecting phones for about 2 months. I just purchased a Bakelite wall phone which I believe is an AE 50 for $20.00. The plunger is missing, and the threads of the handset are cracked. Phoneco is helping me with both of those issues. Can anyone tell me if this is a ship model? What have I got here? Also, Where can I find dates for it?

LarryInMichigan

Ryan_M,

Welcome to the forum.  Your phone is an AE50 which may very well have come from a ship, or possibly a train.  You got a great bargain for $20, especially with the banded handset caps!  Replacement plungers can be found.  Adele Vaverchak (ebay link) has sold them on ebay before.  You could ask her or Steve Hilsz (http://phonesurplus.com/).

Dating those phones is not easy.  AE did not stamp anything with dates during the years that those were made.  The phone was made sometime in the 1940s through mid 1950s.

Larry

Ryan_M

Thanks a lot for the info Larry... I appreciate it!