News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Limits

Started by Tonyrotary, April 27, 2009, 04:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

I was chatting with the wife and I was telling her I saw a neat white 500 on ebay. She said hey we just got a black one. So I said yeah but a white one would be cool too. She then told me my collecting will be limited to 1 each of a model. Is she crazy? lol. But then I thought, I still will have the last laugh as that still leaves many rotary phones out there to buy ;D. We currently have a 554, a 500, a princess, an AC Delco candlestick, and a rotary trimeline. Figure still must be at least a dozen other rotary models out there ;D.

Cannot wait to get home. Roughly 100 more days to go!

Dennis Markham

Tony, tell the Little Woman that it is customary to collect one of EACH COLOR in each model.    :)

McHeath

And then one from each major maker as well.  So you get Western Electric 500s in all their colors, then all the ITT versions and Stromberg versions, and so on.   ;D

Well you can try at least. 

Dan

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 27, 2009, 05:15:33 PM
Tony, tell the Little Woman that it is customary to collect one of EACH COLOR in each model.    :)

One of each in soft  tenite plastic, and one of each in thermoplastic
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

Tell her what I told my folks about my many phones, you have to have an example of each color option from each year and if you win the lotto, each month of each year!
- Tom

Dan/Panther

Don't forget variations within a model, and the different colors of those also.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Tonyrotary

LOL. Dennis, I tried the one in each color, and that is when she said nope only different models are allowed.

McHeath, I already told her that one too as I showed her a nice Stromberg version of the 500. She told me we already have a 500. I told her that is not a 500 but a similiar looking model made by a different manufacturer. Don't think she bought it...lol.

I'll tell you guys this hobby is great! Lots of different models and the history behind each one.

HobieSport

Tony,

Do you have a WE302 and an AE40?  Have you bought your wife a nice princess phone in her favorite color?

In the kayak fishing hobby there is a thing we call earning "WAF" points.  That is, "Wife Approves of Fishing".  One earns WAF points by doing nice things for the wife, thus earning wife-approved fishing time.

In that spirit, may I propose the concept of "WAT" points.  Wife Approves of Telephones.  (Or for some of us, GAT points, i. e. girlfriend approved.)

:)

Tonyrotary

Hobie, its funny you mention the princess phone as I bought her one just before I found this forum. It is a nice white one I bought on oldphoneworks. Yes I payed too much...lol. Now I know thanks to you guys to look on Ebay and what to look for and how much roughly to pay. Also she really likes the look of the AE40 and told me when I get back home to get one for her. Don't have a WE302....yet. ;D.

I like that WAT. Actually because I bought her the Princess is why she put up with me on a couple of bids on Ebay!

HobieSport

Tony, glad to know that you have WAT points (Wife Approves of Telephones) on the AE40.  They are plentiful so it's worthwhile being patient and finding just the one you want.  I love them and have more AE40s than WE302s.

AET

Heck my last girlfriend said I couldn't have a station wagon.  Well, I dumped her and has anybody seen my car?
- Tom

HobieSport

Quote from: AtomicEraTom
Heck my last girlfriend said I couldn't have a station wagon.  Well, I dumped her and has anybody seen my car?

Oh fickle youth... ;)

My girlfriend of fifteen years tolerates my phone habit because we manage our money separately and she knows that most of my phones will eventually be refurbished and re-sold.  I only intend to keep the cream of the crop.  Basically she's just not interested in the phones and is glad I have a healthy hobby. 8)

McHeath

Yeah you could be out with your hoodlum krewe taggin' up the town and egging the library.   ;)

AET

Ah well I found a better woman that digs the station wagon and even though she's not my 'girlfriend' per se, she's the best female companion I've ever had, and I see us heading in that direction pretty quickly.  She loves to come over and check out my phone projects and help me polish up cases and parts and what-not.  She wants me to give her one of them for her room, and I may just give her the twin to my pair of 8/66 Black WE 500's.
- Tom

HobieSport

Tom; your gal friend likes station wagons and phones?  Sounds like a keeper.