News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric BLUE 554 Dated 7/12/56

Started by Doug Rose, August 02, 2012, 06:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is just a wonderful find, its is faded but complete with all original dates and a real nice grey curly cord. Everything is dated 7/56 or 8/56, I cannot get the reciever out. It is faded but has NO cracks. This is a phone Chuck, Dennis, Jorge, Jester or Finlover; our sanding/buffing masters, could make to look like new. Not me. It will go on eBay on Sunday, but is offered up to my Forum friends first. Best offer before 9PM Saturday or it goes to eBay on Sunday. I will leave for Maine at 4AM on Sunday morning. This is just a wondrful find...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

More pics
Kidphone

Doug Rose

insdie pics
Kidphone

Doug Rose

more pics
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Awesome find Doug :D
Looks like the dial is dated 57, what is the color code?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

I think that the "57" is the color code for blue.

Larry

JorgeAmely

57 = Mediterranean Blue

I think Dennis Markham posted pictures of one he had sometime ago. Is this a keeper Doug?
Jorge

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 02, 2012, 06:26:19 PM
This is just a wonderful find, its is faded but complete with all original dates and a real nice grey curly cord. Everything is dated 7/56 or 8/56, I cannot get the reciever out. It is faded but has NO cracks. This is a phone Chuck, Dennis, Jorge, Jester or Finlover; our sanding/buffing masters, could make to look like new. Not me. It will go on eBay on Sunday, but is offered up to my Forum friends first. Best offer before 9PM Saturday or it goes to eBay on Sunday. I will leave for Maine at 4AM on Sunday morning. This is just a wondrful find...Doug

... and how much $$$ will make you lose grip of it? Inquiring minds want to know ...
Jorge

Doug Rose

Jorge....for soemone with your skills, this would looks brand new when you are finished. I do not collect 500 sets, you guys are the experts on these. PM me with a bid and the high bidder on Saturday at 9PM EST, if it I like it;  it yours or it goes to eBay. You folks will set the price.

The dial is dated 7/56, I thought I had it in the picture. I am not comfortable removing the dial.

Doug
Kidphone

Gilas

Beautiful phone but I know it will be way out of my league.  I'm not giving up on my swap meets etc lol.  Best of Luck Doug!!  Really an amazing find!!

Dan

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 02, 2012, 06:26:19 PM

You HAVE to elaborate on this find!!Where who when???
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Doug Rose

I have accepted an offer for this phone. Thank you all for you interest. It is no longer for sale.....many thanks...Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: JorgeAmely on August 02, 2012, 07:31:34 PM
57 = Mediterranean Blue

From Paul-F's site, the '56 color 57 lists: "-57 Blue, Medium Blue, Dark Blue, Mediterranean Blue, True Blue, Capri Blue, Shadow Blue." So, I would say it is "blue." But which? And how can one tell the difference?

poplar1

It doesn't matter which description you pick, they all refer to "dash 57" (-57) blue because that is the only blue that WE was manufacturing from about 1953-1957 for 500s and starting a bit later for 554s. In 1957 they switched to -62 (aqua blue). Then sometime after 1984 they started making -115 Country Blue which was about the same color as -57. In the 1990s they resurrected -62 and -59 pink for the Signature Princess.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan on August 02, 2012, 09:27:51 PM

You HAVE to elaborate on this find!!Where who when???

He probably got it from Janet, the Phone Lady.   :D
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e