News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Number Card Holder - Straightening Tool

Started by kleenax, March 18, 2018, 05:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleenax

Really didn't know whether to put this here or in the "Tools" section!

I know some of you have had this problem in the past:
Always seem to have a number of bent/dented WE card holders so I decided to bite the bullet and buy one of these tools from Mark Treutelaar/Old Phone Shop. He and I had talked about this tool for a few years now since we had both seen it at Paul Vaverchak's place in Pennsylvania. Mark decided to invest the $$ and have a few made.

The photo above shows what it looks like. It's really heavy too; must weigh 2 or 3 pounds. To use it, you simply place a card holder in it, face down:

Then place the top portion onto/INTO the card holder, being careful not to bend any of the little tabs. You might  even have to straighten out some tabs if they're in the way.

After you're satisfied with the way the tool fits together, just pick up the entire tool (with card holder inserted), and RAP IT firmly on a piece of scrap 2x4 wood or something like that. Mark emphasized that you to NOT want to hit it with a hammer (like I did) because it might damage the mating surfaces of the tool. After you have smacked it against the wood (or floor) a couple of times, your card holder should be "good-as-new", albeit with a little less paint.

Since I have a LOT of original cards, I decided to start assembling them and bagging them up with these cool little 2x2 bags that I picked up from ULine.com

If everything goes right, you should have a nice, straight, card holder. Most will need re-painting, but that is another thread!

I just found this full BIN of WE card holders, so I have my work cut out for me!

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

HarrySmith

Now I know where all the missing card holders went!
How much for the tool?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

kleenax

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Babybearjs

it that tool an original WE design? or custom? I've never seen something like that... almost like the die out of the press that stamped them out to begin with....
John

kleenax

Quote from: Babybearjs on March 18, 2018, 10:18:31 PM
it that tool an original WE design? or custom? I've never seen something like that... almost like the die out of the press that stamped them out to begin with....
It was custom designed and made, based on an original design that Paul Vaverchak came up with about 30 yrs ago.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Babybearjs

Nice... so are you still making colored 302 shells? or finally retired....
John

kleenax

Quote from: Babybearjs on March 19, 2018, 01:33:59 AM
Nice... so are you still making colored 302 shells? or finally retired....
Haven't in quite some time, due to some molding problems and disinterest, but yes, I will be getting some more cast! I am trying to get more involved here on CRPF to give me a kick-in-the-butt to get me going again!  I have been "creatively idle" for WAY too long!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 18, 2018, 06:38:20 PM
Now I know where all the missing card holders went!

Somewhere on ebay is probably a large bin of unmatched socks ;)

Larry