News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why is a 1A2 key so hard to find or when you find it on e-bay its $500?

Started by rtp129495, May 03, 2012, 09:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtp129495

I really would like a 1A2 key controller to run the 1A2 key phone i have and have others. there had to be millions of these around back in the day, I can't believe they are THAT rare. Does anyone have any idea about that? or what else can be used to have the lights work on these phones?

G-Man

Keep watching, some are not even bid on or sell dirt cheap.

http://tinyurl.com/cw53pk5

rtp129495

I must stink at searching, anyway thats a good one, but how can i bid and win. i have always been a more of a "buy it now" kinda ebay person. i dont want to escalate it up in price. any strategies any one know of?

Greg G.

Quote from: rtp129495 on May 03, 2012, 02:57:46 PM
I must stink at searching, anyway thats a good one, but how can i bid and win. i have always been a more of a "buy it now" kinda ebay person. i dont want to escalate it up in price. any strategies any one know of?

A common tactic is "sniping", waiting until the last minute to bid.  You can either do that manually, or there's various software programs that will do it for you.  Personally, I just decide what's the most I'm willing to pay for an item (including shipping), place the bid and just let it run it's course.

If these are hard to find, try other sources such as Craigslist, Proxibid, Etsy, Vintage Swank, Antique Shopper, to name a few.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rdelius

I have a couple I am not using .One is a 13 line panel and the other is a 6 line AEis  10a2 panel missing the plastic cover. I might have a WE shoebox and extra 25 pr cables This stuff is heavy and might get damaged in shipping

AE_Collector

Yes AE 10A2 systems are the one thing I still find hanging around "dead" in phone rooms. Very common. I have several extra's that I probably don;t need. I have lots of line cards for them as wel if anyone needs any.

Terry

rtp129495

AEcollector and rdelius where are you located? i am in southern california, i can travel a bit if needed(within reason of a days trip or so).  Otherwise ill have to see what I can do. I would be interested in getting one from one of you, I dont need lots of lines, my plan is about 5-6 phones.... so i guess 10 would work.

Is a shoebox 4 lines? Let me know!!

Phonesrfun

Terry is a ways north of you.  He's just a tad bit over the 49th parallel where I get all befuddled when I try to fill my tank and in order to know whether I am getting a good deal on gas, I have to convert one Dollar to another and convert litres to gallons.  I quit doing that, and just decided to fill it up!  :)  Robby seems to be in NC, so he is even farther away.

I don't know about the AE units, but the standard WE shoebox should be easy to package and make it indescructible.  For the difference in price between the cost of gas for driving to either BC or NC from CA versus shipping and packaging, you could put a lot of money into the packaging and still come out ahead.

That being said, surely there are a bunch of them sitting around somewhere in So. Ca.
-Bill G

rdelius

I am in NC.I have wired the smaller keysets with the 25 pr connectors and modular inputs for movie and personal use. The WE "shoebox" are handy because they are small but no room for an intercom.ITT also made a plastic shoebox with a built in switching power supply but not as rugged as the WE.
Robby
I have an extra "butterfly" tool to put on the connectors. Would sell it for 100.00 if I can dig it out.

AE_Collector

Once I'm back from vacation I could find a 13 line panel or a "6 Pack" c/w pwr supply and Intercom which would probably be a better way to go. Postage to CA shouldn't be too rediculous from WA state.

Terry

G-Man

rtp129495

I meant to bid on this darn one, but i had to goto the doctors office when the auction closed. and it closed while I was at the office and i was too late to get it, I just had bad timing. but it illustrates the point well. I will keep looking. I was trying to wait till the last minute to bid to avoid a bid war. GRRRR!!!!

dpaynter1066

They normally go for 25 dollars or so as the demand is low.  That's the beauty of the ebay,  it's like standing in front of the pavilon at Myrtle beach and asking random pretty girls to go out.  You get slapped a lot, but if you stick with it, eventually one always says yes.