News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 Dated 8 39 Looks like Original Paint Vermillion H1

Started by Doug Rose, September 06, 2018, 01:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Last thing I needed was another 302. I saw this at Brimfield on Tuesday......walked away....had to be a repaint. Sent Jan back and she got it.

It certainly looks fantastic after a wipe down. Few marks on the cradle ears. Vermillion H1 sits inside. A new ringer put in in 1949 and I guess a handset cord. I put in the black modular.

Your thoughts....is this original Paint. Phone looks barely used....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I an guessing repaint. If you look closely under the dial it appears there is some dust ot something in the paint. Also by the left cradle ear right in front looks like something there?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry....phone was really dirty....I think that's all it is. How did the H1 get there?  ...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Anything is possible. Could have masked off the bottom and only painted the outside. Looks like stuff in the paint to me, the more I zoom in the more stuff I see.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Haf

Doug,

I would say repaint too. I imagine seeing sanding marks right under the dial. And the paint seems to be to uneven compared to original painted ones. The paint dust inside seems to come from the dial hole when painted, there seems to be even a dark paint spot where the paint directly hit next to the hole. By knowing the dial ringer is from 1949 that could fit in the time frame of a factory or shop repaint that quality, compared to some subsets I have beeing refurbed at that time.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

poplar1

Looks good to me as it is now. Better than 95% of the metal 302s as found "off the lines."

I don't see any refurb dates on the dial or transmitter. Also, the original undyed dial adapter (gasket) appears to be original. As well as the earlier style hub for attaching the S-hooks of the handset and mounting cords.

The ringer, handset cord (vinyl=1958 or later), and number plate could have been replaced in the field.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

thanks guys....I appreciate all the info and opinions. It is an amazing phone.

I will probably move it as the last thing I need is another 302.

It is an eye catcher....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

That's a lovely phone Doug.
I have a repainted 302 and it doesn't look nearly so nice as that.
It's a good job we don't have anything like Brimfield here in the UK as my house would soon be full from floor to ceiling with phones! ::)

Doug Rose

thanks  Tubaman if it's a repaint it is the best I have ever seen! Also leaving the vermillion H1. The base is immaculate on the bottom...Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

I don't care if it a repaint or not, it's a Beautiful phone Doug.
Gary

Doug Rose

Kidphone