News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red 500 Sets Color differences

Started by Doug Rose, July 30, 2012, 05:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Jan picked up a WE and and ITT a few weeks ago. I cleaned them up and what a difference in color. The WE is the Blood red, but the ITT is a more a Pekin Red, oranging Red. Pictures don't show the real difference, but I was amazed...Doug
Kidphone

liteamorn

My 55 is a gorgeous deep blood red as well.

Adam

ITT actually made both reds over its history.  Originally ITT color code 02 Red was the same shade as Western Electric 53 red (which was also the same shade Stromberg Carlson made).  Sometime in the 70's, ITT transitioned to color code 47 Cherry Red, which is the one you have.

Here's a picture from my phone picture stash that shows the difference.  The phone is ITT 47 red, and the handset is Western Electric 53 red.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Doug Rose

thanks Adam...exactly what I have...take care....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug;
I must have purchased 5 or 6 RED 500's, over the years only to get them and find out they are really Maroon. Wonder why they didn't make 50's 500's in RED like Coke Red.
Like the one in the photo. I've not found a 500 that color yet.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 02, 2012, 06:54:59 PM
Doug;
I must have purchased 5 or 6 RED 500's, over the years only to get them and find out they are really Maroon. Wonder why they didn't make 50's 500's in RED like Coke Red.
Like the one in the photo. I've not found a 500 that color yet.
D/P
Dan...you are correct...Maroon or as I call them blood red, not the cherry red like the SC or ITTs.....take care...Doug
Kidphone