News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help identify wood phone / intercom from estate sale

Started by zenithchromacolor, September 23, 2017, 06:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenithchromacolor

I recently purchased this piece at an estate sale of a collector. It is certainly the oldest phone item I currently have, I mostly have newer plastic phones and have little knowledge on the earlier pieces.

The receiver is a Western Electric 122W. I could not find any model or manufacturer markings on the wood box or transmitter. The push-button on the side and lack of ringer bells may indicate this was part of an intercom? There was a ringer mechanism loose inside the box, not connected or secured.

I would be interested if anybody has and additional information on this.

Thank you,
Max

zenithchromacolor

Additional photos of ringer assembly that was inside.

Jim Stettler

This is very cool and quite old/interesting.
The outside terminal receiver and the early style switch hook are old. the transmitter horn is old and quite  interesting. This is an early and interesting  find. ( In my Opinion).
I think the ringer stuff is unrelated.
I would be willing to trade into this phone. Pm if interested.
Just My Opinion,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Stubbypylon

The transmitter looks like it could be an Ericsson to me but I am not certain.
Craig Stanowski

zenithchromacolor

I did some image searches online and the closest I could come was this one:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-wooden-intercom-kellogg-phone-77708406

The transmitter is similar, but not the same as mine. There is only one photo, so there isn't too much to go by.

I paid $48 for it, which seemed reasonable as I knew the receiver has some value on its own.

Russ Kirk

Wow, that's a great find and good buy. I like the "elk horn" switch hook.  I hear that is an indication it is an older item.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

AE_Collector

Could this be a top box from a larger wooden phone? Normally a top box would have a ringer in it as well but maybe something like a fiddle back with a ringer and batteries under a shelf? The terminals on the top would be for the linein and terminals on the bottom to interconnect with the rest of the larger phone.

Just thinking out loud....

Terry