News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Telephone Door Bell

Started by WesternElectricBen, November 29, 2014, 06:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

My aunt showed me this kickstart campaign that she thought I would find interesting because of what they are doing. (I don't care if you donste or not.)And I agree, the concept of using your phone as a doorbell is a good idea if you want to still hear it ring. Although, what they have going is quite expensive, but I thought it would be interesting. At least, they didn't hack up the phone wiring.

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/713401305/doorbell-phone-a-rotary-phone-doorbell

Ben

Phonesrfun

I can think of many ways to make a phone ring when the doorbell button is pushed.  $95 for this basic package not including the phone is a lot of money!  Why not just use the phone the way it was intended and the doorbell the way it was intended?  All this system does is ring a phone to some preprogrammed cadence and doesn't even allow you to talk on the phone.  Seems like a silly idea to me.   :P

-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 29, 2014, 06:21:20 PM
I can think of many ways to make a phone ring when the doorbell button is pushed.  $95 for this basic package not including the phone is a lot of money!  Why not just use the phone the way it was intended and the doorbell the way it was intended?  All this system does is ring a phone to some preprogrammed cadence and doesn't even allow you to talk on the phone.  Seems like a silly idea to me.   :P
I agree, it is expensive. But, you must have not watched the video where he personally explained his idea.

Ben

Fabius

I read with great interest the telephone doorbell story. My concern would be what demand for this product exists? The Kickstart web site is very interesting.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Fabius on November 29, 2014, 10:00:07 PM
I read with great interest the telephone doorbell story. My concern would be what demand for this product exists? The Kickstart web site is very interesting.
I had the same thought, I haven't a clue who would want it.

Ben

Fabius

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 29, 2014, 10:04:41 PM
Quote from: Fabius on November 29, 2014, 10:00:07 PM
I had the same thought, I haven't a clue who would want it.

Ben

Probably most of us fanatics on this forum but after that not many.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

The x-mas gift for those who have everything?
My doorbell is already a telephone ringer at 20Hz :-)
(not that expensive)

dsk

Owain

What would actually be useful would be a unit that incorporates speech as well. This would have a mass market appeal as it would allow people to use a cordless phone for door intercom. There are a few intercom-to-phone interface units but they tend to be very expensive.
http://safelink.co.uk/shop/bstl/bstl-belltone-door-entry-system-bt901/

Fabius

Quote from: Owain on November 30, 2014, 12:57:06 PM
What would actually be useful would be a unit that incorporates speech as well. This would have a mass market appeal as it would allow people to use a cordless phone for door intercom. There are a few intercom-to-phone interface units but they tend to be very expensive.
http://safelink.co.uk/shop/bstl/bstl-belltone-door-entry-system-bt901/

Put your idea on KickStart and get funding to start production.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Greg G.

We would very much like an intercom system that used vintage phones.  It just occurred to me that I could use my TT payphone as the outside unit.  There must be a fairly easy way to rig it up. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Fabius

Quote from: Brinybay on November 30, 2014, 11:37:27 PM
We would very much like an intercom system that used vintage phones.  It just occurred to me that I could use my TT payphone as the outside unit.  There must be a fairly easy way to rig it up.

Have the payphone require 50 cents for it to work and ring the classic phone in the house. Make a few bucks.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Greg G.

Quote from: Fabius on December 01, 2014, 12:12:54 AM

Have the payphone require 50 cents for it to work and ring the classic phone in the house. Make a few bucks.

Wouldn't work, they would just knock instead, just like they do now even though we have a doorbell in plain site!  Actually, I nixed the idea of using the TT payphone for the reason that people would think it was an actual payphone to get an outside line.  I could rig the whole thing through my PBX, the only problem is figuring out a way to run the wires with a minimum of invasive drilling of holes and a way to theft-proof the outside phone.  We have a covered porch, but I would still want an enclosure for the outside phone, like one of those call-boxes.  There were some at the last Seattle show, I should have grabbed one.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Owain

We would very much like an intercom system that used vintage phones. 

You can build something using a couple of relays (circuit attached),

Item Qty Notes
Mains Transformer 18-0-18 V
Bridge Rectifier 35 V ac 2 A
Cap Elect 1000u Radial 35 V
Cap Poly 2u2 x2 Metal Poly 100 V
Res 180 Ω Carbon 1 W
Res 820 Ω Carbon 1 W
Inductances 100 x 2 Maplin HW27E
Relay DPDT coil see note
Mains inlet and fuse
Tag strip
Enclosure
Telephone connectors
Note: 12 V relays do not operate on Teles 746. Voltage across coil
off-hook is approx 3 V.

or use a VoIP box

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-a-VOIP-Box-Into-a-Telephone-Intercom/

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Fabius on December 01, 2014, 12:12:54 AM

That's a good idea, now I don't have to pretend like the house is vacant when a door to door salesman comes around. :)

Ben

benkeys

Very cool invention, but I wouldn't buy it. After seeing this video, I am now curious if I can make some of my phones sound like the "UK" ring they demonstrate in the video?
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....