News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson 1198?

Started by Telephone Mike, December 12, 2012, 11:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telephone Mike

Can anyone here help me with information on this phone?  It is supposed to be a SC1198 but I think I might have been ripped off and this is just a reproduction.  For one thing, it works just like it is and has obviously been modified and it doesn't match the TCI wiring diagram.  The handset cord has three leads in the handset and only two in base and the line cord plugs into a jack in the base that is not wired anything like the TCI print.  The print inside the base says  BC-1 Type Telephone.  What have I got here?

Thanks,

Mike

Phonesrfun

I am afraid there is not enough information to answer your questions.  Your handset shows wires that, while are probably not original to the handset itself, can certainly work as long as the wires are connected properly inside the phone.  It is not uncommon to see replacement cords which are usually the one item of the highest mortality rate on a phone.  As far as the line cord goes, only two wires are needed to connect the phone.

Please provide more information about each end of the wires on the handset, and maybe more photos.

-Bill G

Telephone Mike

Sorry Bill, I didn't post the additional pictures correctly.  Should be able to see them now.

Mike

Phonesrfun

Yikes, you do have an issue.

Your phone is designed to be connected to a subset, in which case it does need the additional wires in the cord that goes between the phone and the subset.  This phone is not designed to be connected directly to the wall without a subset.  They also did an amateuish job of securing the cords both inside the phone and inside the handset.

The phone does not necessarily need a matching Stromberg Carlson subeset to function correctly; A Western Electric Subset or a mini-network or several other solutions are available.  Some at little cost.  The solution to get a complete matching subset is obviously the best, but also comes at a higher cost. 

When buying an older phone such as this which uses a subset, buyers are often unaware that they are only buying half a phone when the phone does not come with a subset.

Yours probably currently functions somewhat, but the volumes in the receiver will not be right, you will probably hear pops in the receiver when the dial comes to rest, and you will hear your own voice in the receiver a lot louder than you would like.

Add to this the fact that without a subset, there is no isolation of the receiver element from the line voltage that could cause the permanent magnet to weaken over time.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The good news is everything is correctible.  :)

-Bill G

paul-f

Compare your phone with the catalog info here:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=125&Itemid=2

Your handset is a newer model, but functionally equivalent.  Also note the info on desk set boxes.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

The 1202 model, which outwardly looks the same as the 1197 and 1198, (shown in the catalog referenced by Paul) contained an induction coil and condenser inside the phone.

EDIT: The 1197 and 1202 do not have a place for a dial, the 1198 does. So this phone must be a 1198.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Telephone Mike

Thanks guys,

I'm not real familiar with Stromberg Carlson, spent 30+ years with GTE, then Verizon and we worked mostly with AE, some Western, North and Leich.  I know this should have a subset and I'm suprised that it works at all.  My question now is, is this an authentic Stromberg Carlson 1198?  That's what I thought I was buying and now am downsizing my collection and I have this listed on ebay as an 1198.  I don't want to rip anybody off and will pull it if it's not. Or at least change the posting.  I've looked everywhere trying to find something about a Type BC-1 Telephone like it says on the wiring diagram but no luck.  

Thanks again,

Mike

LarryInMichigan

Other than the wires and the AE dial, it looks like a real SC phone to me.  The hook switch is what you will find in one of those phones.  The AE dial is appropriate.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

poplar1

The BC-1 diagram looks different style from the SC diagrams in the catalog mentioned or the diagrams found inside phones. Might this have been an after-market diagram? Only "BCs" that come  to mind are BC Tel. and  B. C. Burden (Automatic Electric engineer and later owner of Surplus Center in Lincoln, Nebraska)

LarryInMichigan

The diagram looks later than 1930s.  Since it mentions a push button, I am guessing that it was for an intercom which used the SC phone.  It was very common for vendors to use surplus phones for intercoms and other things.

I don't think that the diagram and possible history as an intercom detracts from the value of this as an SC 1198 if all of the 1198 parts are present.

Larry

poplar1

Correction to previous post: The 1197 and 1202 don't have a place for the dial so your phone must be a 1198.