"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 Dial Help! Can't Dial Out

Started by debeaune, August 16, 2015, 05:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Debeaune:

What about the 302?   You said earlier that the 302 behaves the same as the AE80's.  Did you try also to do the test on the 302 to remove the slate/red wire from "R" on the dial?  You have not reported back on that.

The 302 and the AE80's have one thing in common that the WE 500 series phones do not.  That being the fact that the 302 and AE80 shorts the line while dialing.  On the 302, disconnecting the slate/red wire will keep it from shorting the line.  With this wire removed, the 302 should behave just like a 500 on your FIOS system, and I am betting that it will dial out with that wire removed.

So, please report back on the results of disconnecting the slate/red wire from the "R" terminal on the 302 dial.  If that allows the 302 to dial out, then we can come back to talking about the AE80s.
-Bill G

debeaune

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 30, 2015, 09:27:11 PM
Debeaune:

What about the 302?   You said earlier that the 302 behaves the same as the AE80's.  Did you try also to do the test on the 302 to remove the slate/red wire from "R" on the dial?  You have not reported back on that.

The 302 and the AE80's have one thing in common that the WE 500 series phones do not.  That being the fact that the 302 and AE80 shorts the line while dialing.  On the 302, disconnecting the slate/red wire will keep it from shorting the line.  With this wire removed, the 302 should behave just like a 500 on your FIOS system, and I am betting that it will dial out with that wire removed.

So, please report back on the results of disconnecting the slate/red wire from the "R" terminal on the 302 dial.  If that allows the 302 to dial out, then we can come back to talking about the AE80s.

Bill, did as you asked on the 302 and it still won't dial out.  I know this 302 used to dial out so I can only assume its something with Verizon.  Any idea if you think that dialgizmo would work to solve this issue?  Thank you.  Tim

Phonesrfun

Quote from: debeaune on August 31, 2015, 07:53:32 PM
Bill, did as you asked on the 302 and it still won't dial out.  I know this 302 used to dial out so I can only assume its something with Verizon.  Any idea if you think that dialgizmo would work to solve this issue?  Thank you.  Tim

Hold the phone!

Let me get this straight.  The 302 with the slate/red removed from R on the dial will not dial out, but it used to.
The AE 80 with the wires to the dial for the shunting removed will not dial out. 

But, the 500 will dial out?   I just don't see how a 500 would dial out and the others not.  Have you tried the 500 recently?  We are talking about a rotary-dial 500 and not a touch-tone 2500, correct?

A dialgizmo converts rotary pulse dialing into tones for tone dialing.  So, in theory a dialgizmo would be in order, but the idea that the 500 works and other phones don't work really seems so weird.  I am stumped.
-Bill G

andre_janew

What about a virus?  If it is a virus, your 500 must have a natural immunity to it for some strange reason.

debeaune

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 31, 2015, 08:22:20 PM
Quote from: debeaune on August 31, 2015, 07:53:32 PM

Hold the phone!

Let me get this straight.  The 302 with the slate/red removed from R on the dial will not dial out, but it used to.
The AE 80 with the wires to the dial for the shunting removed will not dial out. 

But, the 500 will dial out?   I just don't see how a 500 would dial out and the others not.  Have you tried the 500 recently?  We are talking about a rotary-dial 500 and not a touch-tone 2500, correct?

A dialgizmo converts rotary pulse dialing into tones for tone dialing.  So, in theory a dialgizmo would be in order, but the idea that the 500 works and other phones don't work really seems so weird.  I am stumped.

Bill, thats correct.  My 302 worked 6 months ago, no problem, now it won't dial out even with the red/slate from dial removed.  Yet will receive and ring, no problem.  Same on the AE80s.  But, on my 500s rotary dial, all work fine, np.  Can even complicate it more, some of my 702Bs work but now a few of the older models won't.  Truly stumped, sorry.

Phonesrfun

I guess your only hope of using the phones for outgoing calls would be to get a Dialgizmo.  I have never needed one so I don't have one and have never connected one. Hopefully the instructions are straightforward enough, which I am sure they are.

Good luck.  Ya can't say we didn't try.  :)

-Bill G

AE_Collector

I can't remember who your provider is now....Verizon FIOS? And most dial phones that used to dial out won't now but the 500 does?

At this moment I am thinking your provider has either inadvertently or on purpose tighted up the Pulse Per Second limits.

Terry

debeaune

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 02, 2015, 12:01:58 PM
I can't remember who your provider is now....Verizon FIOS? And most dial phones that used to dial out won't now but the 500 does?

At this moment I am thinking your provider has either inadvertently or on purpose tighted up the Pulse Per Second limits.

Terry

Terry, it is Fios. About 2 months ago a technician came out here to fix a filter issue in the line that was causing signal issues on my TV side.  Must have been the TV fix cost me my phone service, not sure.  Do appreciate all of the support, will advise if I figure it out.

andre_janew

My grandmother used to dial her phone like a mad woman.  Whenever she would dial a number, she would spin that dial around as fast as she could.  Maybe that would help you dial out with your 302 and your AE phones!