News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need a simplified diagram for a WE 233-G Payphone

Started by Butch Harlow, July 04, 2018, 03:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Again, 3 on relay has a long yellow wire that goes to T, along with the (originally red) transmitter wire. Relay does not connect to R on hookswitch.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Butch Harlow

Quote from: poplar1 on July 07, 2018, 12:01:28 AM
Again, 3 on relay has a long yellow wire that goes to T, along with the (originally red) transmitter wire. Relay does not connect to R on hookswitch.

Ok. So the #3 relay connection should terminate at T and I should remove the yellow wire going from T to R on hookswitch? Boy, I sure can't read drawings, lol. One day I am going to tr wake a class just so I can read electrical diagrams. I will head back over there in the morning and correct that.
Butch Harlow

poplar1

The diagram is confusing because it shows the terminals inside the handset (W,W,BK,R) which at first glance appear to be terminals in the phone.

Phone originally had a cloth-like wire going from 3 on relay to T on terminal strip, where it connected to the red transmitter wire. Nothing between R on hookswitch and the terminal block at top.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotarDad

Thanks poplar1 for correcting my error misinterpreting the handset connections on the diagram; my apologies to Butch.  Frustrating as I had this all figured out and my 233G/685A working perfectly some time ago (since sold so I couldn't look at it)..... I needed forum help back then too, now that I think of it.....   :)
Paul

Butch Harlow

Quote from: RotarDad on July 07, 2018, 12:54:29 AM
....I needed forum help back then too, now that I think of it.....   :)

I would have been totally lost without assistance. I am more than thankful for folks here and elsewhere willing to lend their expertise to solve the problem. I am up super early for a Saturday, my dreams were peppered with images of fully functional paystations, I have no idea why. I am going back over to remove that wire and see where things are. Then once I have tested the firepower of this fully operational battlestation. I will blow up a planet or two in celebration.

Fear not the error, failure only moves me that much closer to success. It's the process I love, when it's done then I look for more things to fail on until I don't. If this was easy, I wouldn't want to do it.
Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

Ok, removed the yellow wire from T to R, made sure all receiver wires were in the proper locations. Now the talk circuit works properly. I can hear, talk and be heard. It makes calls and everything without any difficulty or issue. I just need to wire the ringer to work and I am in the clean up phase.
Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

It's all done! Looks great and has graduated from a piggy bank phone to a functional paystation. Thanks!
Butch Harlow

RotarDad

That's great news, Butch!  Despite my "sabotage" with an errant wire, you got it running.  It really feels great to get an old, neglected item like this working again, doesn't it?  I just typed up a letter to my daughter today on my restored 1961 Olympia SM4 with cursive font - I just love the feeling of keeping the vintage stuff in service!
Paul

Key2871

KEN

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Key2871 on July 07, 2018, 08:49:57 PM
Congratulations, Butch. Nice work.

Yes sir and thanks. That relay works flawlessly.

QuoteDespite my "sabotage" with an errant wire, you got it running.

no problem, I got there in the end. No fires, no throwing heavy things through windows, just patience. I have noticed I am far more patient as I get older, I may like that part of it.
Butch Harlow