News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Examples of Reproduction Telephone Signs

Started by Sargeguy, September 10, 2013, 07:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I guess signage is one of those areas I will avoid.  I'm sure that a practiced individual could detect forgeries, but I reckon it is a carefully acquired skill.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Russ Kirk

While I am far from a sign expert i do see issues.

First is the green color,  I'm interested in hearing if anyone has seen a green sign before.

Next it is the word TELEPHONE, I see the TELE is straight and not curved like in other signs. The PH is tilted and ONE is again straight.

I would pass on the sign.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

19and41

Oughta be worth 50 bucks.  See if they'll take a couple of 25's for it.  ;D
— Arthur C. Clarke

Fabius

By "new fake" I meant that it was new to the market. There's no doubt (in my mind) that it is a fake.  I would think only of interest as a decor piece.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Pourme

In reference to these "fake" signs. If they were reasonable in price, more aligned with other automobile related fake signage like you can find on the shelf in Hobby lobby, I would purchase one for display. It seems to me the sellers of these signs start them high to give them the appearance of original signage. I can buy the same "Shell Oil" repo sign for $5. I even asked in Hobby Lobby why they don't carry phone related reproduction signs.

I would love to be able to afford to collect authentic phone signs but I can't. Reasonably priced fake signs would be nice to have to enhance telephone displays for those of us that don't have the budget for the real thing.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Sargeguy

Plenty of these signs are low priced and can be find listed as reproductions.  Unfortunately many of these are mistaken for real signs by people who buy them at yard sales and thrift stores.  Other sellers deliberately mislead by artificially rusting items and obscuring marks that identify them as repros. As I stated before, "Bell System" hubcaps can be had fairly cheaply if you are patient and educate yourself on what to look for. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

19and41

I'm curious about a sign here for sale at $125.  To my eye there is no way to tell it's age nor origin.  Is it an old sign or a repro?

— Arthur C. Clarke

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I have seen that referred to as the "1964" bell.  Not a popular subject for fakers, usually sells for around $75
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

19and41

Thanks for the info.  I doubt If I will take up signs as collectibles, but the ones I see on this site are nice to look at.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Sargeguy

Pacific Telephone & Telegraph fake, very well made buit the dimensions are off and the lettering is fishy.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on May 12, 2017, 01:28:33 PM

Pacific Telephone & Telegraph fake, very well made buit the dimensions are off and the lettering is fishy.

One of the most dangerous fakes out there.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905