News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fooling around with google, I found this..

Started by Sigmaz, January 18, 2018, 11:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmaz

I had no idea they could be registered landmarks..

Neat.

twocvbloke

A lot of the old GPO K2 and K6 phone boxes over here are Grade 2 listed buildings, so it's not surprising that the same is happening over there... :)

LarryInMichigan

That form is for a nomination, not necessarily a designation.  Designating phone booths as federally registered historical places is a really bad idea.  It makes removal of the structure extremely time-consuming and expensive.  There are cases where a registered structure has become dangerous, but the owners are prohibited from removing or modifying it.  Such designations should be reserved solely for structures with very substantial historical significance and which are viable.  I think that in this case, someone was hoping to make a profit.

Larry

TelePlay

Checking the Register of National Parks in Arkansas, it is not listed, yet, if ever.

https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/history/landmarks/

Nice try but I doubt the booth alone would ever be approved.

There are only 3 places within 25 miles of Prairie Grove.

Sigmaz

Makes sense..
At any rate, the town of Prairie Grove must think pretty highly of this booth as it's on the map as a POI.

TelePlay

Yep0, right across the street from the  Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park.

I think this means that any repair to the booth and phone must be exactly as originally built.

SUnset2

They claim that it has the original telephone, but that has obviously been replaced with a single slot.  (And it looks like Touch-Tone as well).
Anyway, booths like that in the original location are getting to be pretty scarce.  I don't think that there are any still in use around here with doors.

Sigmaz

Quote from: SUnset2 on January 18, 2018, 11:07:08 PM
They claim that it has the original telephone, but that has obviously been replaced with a single slot.  (And it looks like Touch-Tone as well).
Anyway, booths like that in the original location are getting to be pretty scarce.  I don't think that there are any still in use around here with doors.

There is an americana style restaurant in a town not far from here that has a booth that is still standing in the same spot since the late 50's.
Photos reveal that it was replaced or rebuilt at least once in the 70's because it looks like it was a nice red airlight and now is a blue model.. I cant remember the model designation...
Since it sits curbside it may have been run into/down at one time or another.