"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Modular Western Electric

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 27, 2015, 11:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: compubit on May 02, 2015, 12:12:43 AM
Here's a CS2500 series in Teal Blue.  I'm torn between the grey faceplate and wishing there was one closer in tone to the blue...

Jim
Wow, very nice!!!

I think I like the gray faceplate; it looks a bit more professional. A lighter blue plate wouldn't look right. Besides, it's a bit reminiscent of the gray cords on med blue 500s of the '50s!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

podor

Here is my numbers matching 2702 form '79. Next is my 2500 mix. Most of it is '69 with a refurbish in '83. The next is a 2851 that was refurbished in '80. It is the first phone I restored. The 565 is from '82, numbers matching. The 2565 is numbers matching from '82 also except for the G6 handset. I also have a red 2565 and a beige 2564.

WEBellSystemChristian

Very nice phones! That 2851 must be pretty rare, given the color for a business set like that!
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

For the record, here is a Western Electric color chart for mid-1983 showing all of the colors available during that time. I know a few of these were mainly found on 2500-type faceplates, but were either never found on entire sets, or were rarely ever found.

The vast majority of these colors I have never even seen before. I guess I have a lot of searching to do! :D
Christian Petterson

poplar1

Here are the colors for coordinated faceplates on 1500s and 2500s:

Set (color code):                                  Coordinated Faceplate (color code):
                   Black (-3)                                               Charcoal (-70)                   
                   Ivory (-50)                                             Muted Ivory (-80)
                   Green (-51)                                            Light Green (-71)                 
                   Red (-53)                                               Muted Red (-69)
                   Yellow (-56)                                            Light yellow (-72)     
                   White (-58)                                             Light Gray (-73)                               
                   Pink (-59)                                               Muted pink (-74)
                   Light Beige (-60)                                     Muted Beige (-75)                           
                   Aqua Blue (-62)                                       Muted blue (-76)                                           
                   Turquoise (-64)                                       Muted turquoise (-77)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Here is a 1980 WE Trimline in Rust (-124). I think this color showed a glimpse of the '70s, even though this is an '80! ;D

I got it at a local antique store last year for $13, IIRC. It cleaned up very, very well. I haven't even cleaned or recoiled the cord, although a good cleaning is in order for it.
Christian Petterson

savageje

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 05, 2015, 08:33:57 PM
Here is a 1980 WE Trimline in Rust (-124). I think this color showed a glimpse of the '70s, even though this is an '80! ;D

I got it at a local antique store last year for $13, IIRC. It cleaned up very, very well. I haven't even cleaned or recoiled the cord, although a good cleaning is in order for it.

I love that color, and it definitely does hearken back to the 70s!  Believe it or not, my grandparents had carpet that color in their family room in the late 70s-early 80s. 

compubit

Quote from: savageje on May 06, 2015, 12:54:50 AM

I love that color, and it definitely does hearken back to the 70s!  Believe it or not, my grandparents had carpet that color in their family room in the late 70s-early 80s.

We did too in the house we moved into in 1979 (along with dark brown wood paneling...)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

NorthernElectric

I think this color showed a glimpse of the '70s, even though this is an '80! ;D
If you think about years in a decade mathematically rather than linguistically, there was never a year '0' so years in a decade are numbered from 1-10, not 0-9.  Therefore 1980 is the last year of the seventies and not the first year of the eighties.  To argue otherwise means that the first decade only had 9 years.  So the color fits!   ;D
Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: NorthernElectric on May 06, 2015, 11:26:27 AM
I think this color showed a glimpse of the '70s, even though this is an '80! ;D
If you think about years in a decade mathematically rather than linguistically, there was never a year '0' so years in a decade are numbered from 1-10, not 0-9.  Therefore 1980 is the last year of the seventies and not the first year of the eighties.  To argue otherwise means that the first decade only had 9 years.  So the color fits!   ;D

;D

Also given that decade tastes never die with the decade, they usually live on for a bit in the next decade. For example, The Andy Griffith Show was reflective (in the early years) of the 1950s, although the first year was 1960. The 1960s were born in 1964 or so, but lived on until 1973, etc.

So technically, this phone is 1970s, given that the color was still popular in the early '80s! :D
Christian Petterson

Partyline4

I love all of the 500, and 2500 series phones because of their excellent quality and proven design.

I really don't think the modern Chinese specials of today will be collectible any time soon.

However, I could be wrong.

It's amazing how things have changed fore the sake of a quick dollar!

Boy have things changed!

Back to phones,  I much prefer the hardwired sets.

I've found in recent years you get some static from loose plugs in the modular handsets. I usually shove a piece of paper in one side to give it some more friction.

poplar1

Rust (-124) and Brown (-104) were introduced, for Trimlines only, on Sept. 1, 1978.
The metal faceplate on your round button handset probably means it was refurbished. I don't think they were still making that handset in 1980.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.