News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1957 Stromberg Carlson Hands Free Phone

Started by ....., July 24, 2017, 08:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

Beautiful restoration. Lucky you've got a number card holder; that type is getting hard to find.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 07, 2017, 11:34:37 AM
Yeah, that will work! Nice!

Thanks.

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 07, 2017, 01:24:36 PM
I'd include the model #.  It's not a common phone so few who see it and are interested are likely to know it.

That's a great idea.

Quote from: mentalstampede on August 07, 2017, 03:04:08 PM
Beautiful restoration. Lucky you've got a number card holder; that type is getting hard to find.

Thanks, I'm just finding that out.

Ktownphoneco

Well, I think I figured it out. I copied the card picture to Microsoft Word, then I resized it with word. I printed it off and it fit. It's about as good as it will get with my lack of talent for resizing pictures. :) The number holder size is 1 3/16th.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Some pictures taken today outside in natural light on the tonneau cover of my pick up. With the dial card installed.

The microphone that I bought off eBay arrived this morning, all wrapped up in eBay tape.
It is in better shape then I thought it would be. It even has the right adapter for the phone and the colour matches.
That will be todays project to clean it up and see if it works. Then I will try and make the logo's for it.

TelePlay

Quote from: Duffy on August 10, 2017, 09:01:33 AM
The microphone that I bought off eBay arrived this morning . . .    It is in better shape then I thought it would be. It even has the right adapter for the phone and the colour matches.

That's fantastic, right color and connector. eBay is funny that way, what you get has a 60/40 chance of being much better or much worse that pictured. With the quality of images posted on eBay these days, most stuff turns out better.

Hope it works and can't wait to see your finished project. That will be something few others have in their collections.

Quote from: TelePlay on August 10, 2017, 09:10:35 AM
That's fantastic, right color and connector. eBay is funny that way, what you get has a 60/40 chance of being much better or much worse that pictured. With the quality of images posted on eBay these days, most stuff turns out better.

Hope it works and can't wait to see your finished project. That will be something few others have in their collections.

OK, I jumped the gun here a little bit. When I opened the package this morning I seen it was gray and thought a perfect match, next was the screw on female adapter type great 2 for 2. The phone was in the garage and I was in the house. When I got around the morning on checking it out, I found that the gray was a little lighter on the mic, I can live with that. But the female adapter was larger than the male one on the phone. Now I'm going to have to find myself a female smaller adapter and swap it out.

I gave the mic a good cleaning this morning.

"These pictures were taken outside in natural sunlight."

TelePlay

Yes, the mic connector looked a bit large but when not next to the phone, hard to tell. At first I thought the phone jack was a female BNC but then the threads were apparent. Maybe DavePEI could find or knows of an adapter to convert the large male to the smaller jack. Radio seems to have any and all types of adapters which could avoid cutting off the original plug.

Alex G. Bell

The mike connector on the mike cord and the one on the chassis are standard and miniature versions of a common connector used for high impedance mikes on consumer electronics.  I think they were made by Amphenol but might be Switchcraft or possibly both.  Are there any markings on the plug?

Quote from: Duffy on August 10, 2017, 12:33:57 PM
OK, I jumped the gun here a little bit. When I opened the package this morning I seen it was gray and thought a perfect match, next was the screw on female adapter type great 2 for 2. The phone was in the garage and I was in the house. When I got around the morning on checking it out, I found that the gray was a little lighter on the mic, I can live with that. But the female adapter was larger than the male one on the phone. Now I'm going to have to find myself a female smaller adapter and swap it out.

I gave the mic a good cleaning this morning.

"These pictures were taken outside in natural sunlight."

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on August 10, 2017, 01:32:39 PM
Yes, the mic connector looked a bit large but when not next to the phone, hard to tell. At first I thought the phone jack was a female BNC but then the threads were apparent. Maybe DavePEI could find or knows of an adapter to convert the large male to the smaller jack. Radio seems to have any and all types of adapters which could avoid cutting off the original plug.
I've seen lots of audio adapters but don't recall ever seeing one for a large mike connector to a small mike input. 

An adapter would make the large long connector on the cord stick out much more than a smaller replacement.  A large diameter long connector adapted to a smaller stationary chassis connector would be particularly susceptible to breakage and clumsy looking.  Therefore I'd recommend replacing the one on the cord with the miniature version even if an adapter can be found.

Here is the full size Switchcraft version of the cord female connector:
http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=810
http://www.switchcraft.com/Specification.aspx?Parent=810

This shows both versions:
http://www.switchcraft.com/Category.aspx?Parent=801

Here is the miniature version:
http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=538
http://www.switchcraft.com/Specification.aspx?Parent=538

Thanks Alex,

I ordered a new female adapter in the right size (mini) from Digi-Key today. I'll replace the larger one and keep my fingers crossed that everything works out. :)

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Duffy on August 10, 2017, 04:38:10 PM
Thanks Alex,

I ordered a new female adapter in the right size (mini) from Digi-Key today. I'll replace the larger one and keep my fingers crossed that everything works out. :)
You're welcome Doug.

I'd forgotten about the rationale for these connectors but looking at the web pages reminded me.  These are what might be called a "hermaphroditic" connector (not my choice of terms) because a female can be connected to another female by sliding the ring back on one of them, effectively making it a male.  This can be convenient when working with long extension cables.

Paul F. doesn't know it yet, but his picture he posted helped me with an idea.

This is only a test to see if it would work, I think I can get them made out of vinyl.