"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

telephone photos - david@london

Started by david@london, December 17, 2012, 07:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: david@london on March 23, 2013, 02:43:08 PM
unbeldi - that is a very well-made copy.
....... if it were printed, as you say, on card like the original below, it would look pretty much spot-on.

sure would.... After I looked at it later, I think I may have set a filter just a touch too high, the lettering is perhaps just a tiny bit too thin. I didn't spend a lot of time on it.  Here is the entire sheet image in case you have a use for it.  Try taking it to a print shop perhaps to evaluate them and ask for 100% scale, they should be able to do it perfectly.  Each card is exactly 1.5 inches in diameter, the sheet has 300 dpi resolution and is 7x10 inches total size.  If I had to do this one over, I would also add a mark where the notch should be on the right side as a guide to cutting.

southernphoneman

david@london you have some beautiful 500 phones. i have posted a photo of a black 500 that i refurbished and sold on ebay.....southernphoneman.

david@london

thanks, southernphoneman

hope you got a good price for yr refurbished 500.........looks v good !

southernphoneman

thankyou for compliment on the phone i posted under your topic. i paid $4.99 for it and re sold it for $55.00... thankyou..... southernphoneman

david@london

yr v welcome southern phoneman !

today i got round to installing a '55 straight handset cord on my '52 black we500, replacing the '70s refurb coiled cord it had on it.

i managed to track the straight cord down a couple of months ago, after some hunting about. i've had the cord hanging up with a weight on one end, to straighten it.
the coiled cord was, i think, put on in '78 by the usaf, this being a signal corps phone.

david@london

a family member of mine has just moved house and has given me a gpo 300 series she had in the garage........thank you k.
it was badly cracked when i received it, so i replaced the shell on it.

i thought it also deserved a new braided cord, a metal label and a good clean-up.
the new shell would seem to be from a 330, and the handset is a 184 ......dated 53.

1st photo is before i worked on it.

Doug Rose

David...that is one sharp looking phone. Really eloquent!! ...Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

I do believe I am going to buy a GPO phone when I get back from being away for Christmas.  An antique store in town has (or had) one that I now think I will buy.  I believe it is an earlier 232.
-Bill G

twocvbloke

I briefly saw a bit of "Call the midwife" yesterday, where a WWII bomb went off, and they gratuitously pushed a GPO 332 off a desk (simulating the effect of shockwave from the bomb) onto the floor..... :o

Luckily being a well made phone it didn't break, but still, that poor phone... :(

Phonesrfun

Would have been worse if a buzz bomb hit it. :o
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 26, 2013, 06:16:15 PM
I do believe I am going to buy a GPO phone when I get back from being away for Christmas.  An antique store in town has (or had) one that I now think I will buy.  I believe it is an earlier 232.
Bill...that is the great thing about collecting telephones, as many as you might have; there is always another that you have your eye on.  It is a great phone.....Doug
Kidphone

david@london

doug -
thank you for yr compliment ......i agree it's a sharp phone. especially with the shark's tooth fingerstop !

bill -
the 232 is a great phone ..... lovely pyramid design. does the one you've got in mind have a bellset ? 

british telephones link.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 26, 2013, 06:16:15 PM

The GPO 232 is the pyramid style classic from the 1930s.  They often sell for big prices, especially if they are in good condition.  What is the price on this one?

Larry

david@london

thanks to my good friend larry, i have just received a new phone; well-packed and fast delivery - 4 days to england.
it is in very nice condition - all dates matching 1/72........and all working a-ok here in london.
this super-fast modern touchtone dialling is the business.

Matilo Telephones

Congratulations with this beautiful new addition to your collection!
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones