News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2 NE 1945 Metal 302s

Started by rbouch, October 10, 2015, 04:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbouch

Here are a couple of 1945 Metal Northern Electric 302s I picked up.  The one with the "Wait for Dial Tone" dial centre I am inclined to get power coated, the one with "empire8-" dial centre I am inclined to leave alone.

"Wait for Dial Tone" has dates that all line up on induction coil, ringer, dial and handset to the last week or so of December 45. The actual base is marked April 45.

"Empire8-" has dates that all line up around hallowe'en of 45.  The actual base is also marked April 45.

Neither phone has been touched at this point, I am just about to start working on them.  "Wait for Dial Tone"is actually flaking off bits of black paint,  the other one is not.

Any opinions/advice on the repaint idea?

rbouch

I meant powder coated.
I hate touchpad.... >:(

NorthernElectric

Nice find.  Did you get them together?
Cliff

rbouch

No, but I found one literally around the corner from the other about a week apart.

WEBellSystemChristian

Great finds!!! I agree, the one on the right should be left alone paint wise.

I suggest getting the one on the left sandblasted and then powdercoated. If you send it to someone to get it coated, ask for 'mirror black' or 'gloss black'. I've seen a lot of coatings advertised as plain black that turn out to be more of a flat black.

If you have your own powdercoater, but want advice on what type of powder to use, I recommend 'Mirror Black' by Columbia Coatings. That stuff is just incredible, you couldn't get a better finish with regular paint in terms of durability, gloss level, etc. If you do it right, it looks just beautiful!

I used it recently on my WE411:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15046.0
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

rbouch

Thanks Christian,

I had already had a look at your 411.  in fact that's what made me post the pictures.  If I can get this phone to look like that í'll be really pleased,

rbouch

Here is the end result

Empire 8 polished with black automotive wax

Wait for Dial Tone powder coated.  Christian, I took your advice and went with the highest gloss I could get.

The chrome bands are from OPW. Couldn't resist.

Finish sure looks the same to me.

andre_janew

It looks like you've changed the dial plate on Empire 8.  I don't remember seeing a Z on it earlier.

rbouch

Yes, it had a 150b from '51 on it (I think) and this one is from 1947, so I thought it matched the remainder of the phone's '45 dates better.

NorthernElectric

Looking good...

Quote from: rbouch on October 16, 2015, 10:09:25 PMThe chrome bands are from OPW. Couldn't resist.

...but I'm thinking you need to chrome the fingerwheel and finger stop now.   :D
Cliff

rbouch

Ha!
Just did that to my uniphone,
Speaking of which, just picked up another on eBay ( see below)

Greg G.

Quote from: rbouch on October 16, 2015, 10:09:25 PM
Here is the end result

Wait for Dial Tone powder coated. 

Does powder coating still leave stamped markings visible? IOW, how thick is powder coating?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Brinybay on October 21, 2015, 02:23:02 PM
Quote from: rbouch on October 16, 2015, 10:09:25 PM
Here is the end result

Wait for Dial Tone powder coated. 

Does powder coating still leave stamped markings visible? IOW, how thick is powder coating?
Like painting, it all depends on how much you apply.

The powder comes out of a gun similar to a paint gun, but it 'floats' out (for lack of a better term) rather than spraying. It does tend to come out a bit thicker than a thin layer of paint, and it does hide markings a little more than paint. If you put a very thin layer on without showing any of the metal underneath (takes a lot of experience) it will show the stamping, but not as sharply as painting might. The upside is: if you make a mistake while applying the powder, you can always blow the powder off and immediately start over,

If durability is a factor, hands down, 100%, the powder coating is the best option.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

rbouch

The shell of this one was corroded enough stampings were no issue at all