Main Menu

Wiring 233G to subset

Started by coors, March 06, 2012, 08:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Update:

Here is the wiring:

1.  Make sure there is a jumper wire between BBX and BB on the hookswitch
2.  If your phone has a coin relay, disconnect the coin relay wire that goes to SL on the hookswitch
3.  Move the handset transmitter wire from the terminal strip "T" to hookswitch "Y"
4.  Connect one side of the line to L1 in the subset
5.  Connect the other side of the line to L2 Y in the subset

Run inside wire that has at least 4 conductors between the pay phone and the subset as follows:  (Color of wires is not Important)

1.  Connect Hookswitch R in the 233G to terminal L2 Y in the subset
2.  Connect hookswitch Y in the 233G to terminal BK in the subset
3.  Connect terminal TR in the 233G to terminal R in the subset
4.  Connect hookswitch W in the 233G to terminal GN in the subset

The handset in the 233G should be connected as follows:

1.  Red transmitter wire to terminal Y on the hookswitch (See above)
2.  Black transmitter wire to terminal "TR" on the terminal strip at the top of the housing
3.  One of the white receiver wires also to terminal "TR" on the terminal strip
4.  The other white receiver wire to Hookswitch terminal GN

Make sure that the wiring you just did does not interfere with the operation of the hookswitch when you put the upper housing back on.

The ringer in the subset should already be wired for bridged ringing, but in case not wire the ringer as follows:

Red ringer wire to L1
Black ringer wire to K
Slate capacitor wire to K
Yellow capacitor wire to L2 Y

Try that and it should work.
-Bill G

dmz

Bill,

Wired up as indicated.  Was able to get dialtone on the handset, ring in and answer with audio path.  However, I was not able to dial.  When the dial was operated the result was just continued dialtone.  Not sure but I suspect that something is not wired correctly with respect to the dial.

David

Phonesrfun

If your phone still has the coin relay, and connected that could be your problem.  Did you disconnect the slate wire of the coin relay from the SL terminal on the hookswitch? See item #2 of the instructions.

In old actual operation, the coin relay intentionally kept the dial from working until coins were deposited in the coin hopper.  Depositing coins would open the switch and allow dialing.  Unless you buy a simulator for operating the collect/return function of the coin relay, you need to disconnect that feature.

Check that out and let me know if you are still having problems.
-Bill G

poplar1

Butch, try this:

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 07, 2012, 12:23:43 AM
OK, assuming you are using a 500 set as a network, make sure all the hookswitch contacts for the old 500 have been disconnected from the 425 network inside the 500 base.

The network inside the 500 base will be labeled 425 and then a dash letter, I.E. 425-B, E or some other suffix.  I will refer to that network as a 425.

Line cord wires:
Connect the red line cord wire to L2 of the 425 network, and the green line cord wire to  L1 (Same connections as a model 500 phone.

Ringer wires:
Connect the red ringer wire to L2 on the 425; connect the black ringer wire to L1 on the 425; connect the slate ringer wire to K on the 425, and connect the slate/red ringer wire to A on the 425.  This is the same wiring that the original 500 has too.

Place a short jumper wire between L1 on the 425 and C on the 425.

Payphone handset (Assumes this is a G handset with 4 wires...Black, Red, White, White)
Red handset wire and one White handset wire to TR on the black terminal strip at the top of the lower housing.  (Either white wire will do)
Black handset wire to T on the black terminal strip at the top of the lower housing
Other white handset wire will go to terminal GN on the payphone hookswitch.

Connections between the subset (500 model phone with 425 network) (5 wires)

Wire 1 between L2 on the 425 network and terminal Y on the payphone hookswitch
Wire 2 between RR on the 425 network and terminal R on the payphone hookswitch
Wire 3 between R on the 425 network and TR on the black terminal strip at the top of the lower housing
Wire 4 between B on the 425 network and T on the black terminal strip at the top of the lower housing
Wire 5 between GN on the 425 network and terminal W on the payphone hookswitch.

Make sure there is a jumper between terminals BBX and BB on the payphone hookswitch

That should do it.  All this assumes, of course, that nobody has messed around with the dial wiring, or the configuration of the transfer contact points between the upper and lower housing.  If that is the case, then there will be more work involved.

Also, when replacing the upper housing, always do so with the phone off hook, otherwise the flimsy little brass tab that controls the bent coin release can get bent and break off.

Good luck.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ChrisW6ATV

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 07, 2012, 12:14:11 PMI had one other thought about the model 500 phone you are planning on using for a subset.  If it is an older type that has some of the hookswitch wires soldered to the 425 network terminals, then I should give you some additional instructions on how to deal with that situation.  Let me know.
I did not see a follow-up comment from Bill (Phonesrfun) about the older 425 networks with soldered wires attached to some terminals. I did use one of these older networks (a 425B dated 1-57) with my own 233G, and all I did was to unsolder each of the hookswitch wires (five total) and then the network worked fine with my phone following the Bell wiring diagrams. On these older networks, terminal C does not have a screw connection, so I did have to solder a new wire to it that goes to the external L2 terminal as shown in the diagrams.

MMikeJBenN27

Please, don't remove any of the relays!  Enjoy your find!

Mike